Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-15-2013, 11:01 AM   #51 
Illhearted
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettaFish View Post
This forum is actually one of the most lenient I have been on in regards to housing bettas in smaller tanks. I actually find that those members with tanks under 5 gallons are much quicker to jump in and have a go at those who advocate for larger tanks than the contrary.

It would be interesting to do a survey on this forum and find out what the average tank size for bettas owned by members actually is.
I reckon it'd probably range in the 2.5-3 g.
Illhearted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 02:03 PM   #52 
Skyewillow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quisquose View Post
It's really the personality of the fish and it's caretaker that decides the size of the tank.
Sometimes, it's really just the fish. lol

I upgraded all of my males from 1.5 gals to 2.5 gals when I set up the cabinet, and one of the boys, who has always had an issue with anything bigger than a 1.5, decided to eat his tail. UGH! I just wanted a nice tank with some room for him to move... Brat.

I tricked him though. He's back into a 2.5, but it's a jar, so it has a small footprint, more height, and painted the sides so he can't overwhelm himself. I also agree that 1 gal is a minimum, I prefer the fish to have some swimming room once I've finished decorating their tanks.

I've never been ashamed to admit what size tanks my fish are in, and if anyone ever wanted to try guilt-tripping me on size, they're welcome to foot the bill so that their opinion would actually count. My house, My fish, My rules. As long as my fish are healthy, that's what matters to me.
Skyewillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 10:03 PM   #53 
Tree

I like my 3 gallon tanks. I did have a 1.5 gallon for mine but now I use it for my healing tank. =)
Tree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 10:11 PM   #54 
jaysee
Reference Team

I think a fish with a tank to itself will heal better in its normal tank.
jaysee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 10:14 PM   #55 
Tree

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysee View Post
I think a fish with a tank to itself will heal better in its normal tank.
I would have healed him in his 3 gallon tank but at the time I had a snail in there. and it was easier to do a 100% change to a 1.5 than a 3 gallon. Lucky that did not stress him out and he is doing better.
Tree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 11:02 PM   #56 
jaysee
Reference Team

I would have moved the snail than the fish, but no harm no foul But yeah, if you're doing water changes like that I guess it doesn't matter.
jaysee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 07:48 PM   #57 
Faye

There are as many opinions as there are people.

Honestly though, I'm a big(ger) tank person. I have a 15 gallon all set up for one single betta (and some shrimp and snails) and I am not even sure if I am going to add any other fish.

Part of it is that here in the netherlands my tank is probably the smallest tank fish lovers would recommend for keeping one betta fish. Any smaller is considered animal cruelty. Betta's aren't sold in cups here either. The smallest I've seen are large jars underneath a heater. but those were still more than a gallon in size, and cleaned regularly.

The other part is that it seems more natural for a betta fish to live in a larger space. The betta naturally lives in large rice paddies, shallow and overgrown. By getting a 15 gallon tank, I can put lots of plants and hiding spots in it without taking away much free swimming space. In a small tank you can't really create a natural planted area without overstuffing the tank. A smaller tank needs to be quite bare, to allow the betta to actually swim properly. It is also harder to maintain a good water quality.

But in the end. I think a betta would rather live in a heated 2 gallon tank with some plants and hiding spots and a loving owner who maintains the tank properly than a nearly bare 20 gallon tank with a way to strong filter.

So I guess I think you can definitely keep a betta happy in a smaller tank, but it does take more effort. So I prefer a larger tank, it just seems more natural.
Faye is offline   Reply With Quote