Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-07-2013, 07:02 PM   #1 
KidsCatsBettas

I think his lip is torn, can he live?

I cleaned Sparkle's tank (vac and water change) on 9/17 and shortly after, he started spitting food back out. Then he stopped eating. I have never figured out why, but three weeks later, Sparkle isn't looking good. He hangs out either at the top or the bottom of the tank, doesn't even look at food, and is lethargic.

A week ago, I noticed it looks like his lip may have torn somehow. It looks like there is a tear across the bridge of his nose and his mouth is no longer upward facing. After I noticed it, I posted here but got no response, so I went ahead and have started him on aquarium salt to help heal. I put 1.5 tsp in 1 gal of water and have done daily water changes since last Wednesday, always removing 1 gal and replacing with 1 salted gallon. The wound looks healed.

I am posting a pic. Is this fish doomed because his mouth is no longer in the right position to get food? I've tried garlic-infused pellets, but not much else because he isn't even looking to eat.

I have answered these questions in other posts so many times that here's the short version.

What size is your tank? 2.5 gal
What temperature is your tank? 76
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 5ppm
pH: 8.2 (same as tap water, he's been fine)
Hardness: unk, but tap water is softened
Alkalinity: unk

Any thoughts or ideas?

Thank you!

TJ
Attached Images

KidsCatsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 07:46 PM   #2 
blufish425

When he goes up for air does he open his mouth normally to breathe?
blufish425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 07:49 PM   #3 
KidsCatsBettas

When he goes for air, his body is more vertical than usual. My other betta stays pretty parallel to the surface of the water.
Old 10-07-2013, 07:52 PM   #4 
blufish425

Watch him and see if you can observe him opening and closing his mouth. I just want to determine if its even possible for him to eat.
blufish425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 07:53 PM   #5 
Soph7244

maybe you should try smaller pellets like new life spectrum so its easier to eat. Or you could try cutting the pellets in half or crushing them. good luck! and i hope your betta feels better
Soph7244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 07:57 PM   #6 
KidsCatsBettas

I tried some micro pellet food, but he doesn't even go for food. He looks up and then swims aways. :(

I've started preparing my 4 y/o daughter that her fish is very sick and I might not be able to fix him.
Old 10-07-2013, 08:02 PM   #7 
Soph7244

awww. wait a few days. then maybe try blood worms or something that looks more yummy. all you need to do is hope for the best and do whatever you can. keep up with the AQ salt but a little less. also make sure not to stress him out during the water changes.
Soph7244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 08:08 PM   #8 
jaysee
Reference Team

I've had fish caught on the boat that were completely missing half their jaw - all healed over. As long as it can eat and it doesn't get infected, it should be just fine.
jaysee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 10:09 PM   #9 
ricepattyfish5

I know this is not what you want to hear, but it needs to be said. I recently just lost one of my bettas, Corsaro, and his face was litterally falling off. It happened suddenly (within about an hour) and half of his face was literally bleeding and had fallen off. He survived a week, barely, and passed as I was talking to him. I treated him with Tetra Fungus Guard and it put a little pep in his step, but he still would not eat (I'm assuming it hurt him to do so)

Going by the picture you posted, it looks like it is in the early stages (if it is what Corsaro had) and I think you have a VERY good chance of saving the little guy for your daughter. Daily water changes are a MUST. Maybe even take out any decorations you may have (to ensure nothing is causing his illness). Just be sure to be EXTREMELY careful when you are moving him around because his body cannot handle a lot of stress when it is trying to get better. In my uneducated opinion, I would use the tetra fungus guard and maybe even a stress coat. I am sure someone else here will be able to help you more, but I am just so glad you caught it so suddenly. I REALLY hope your daughters little fishy gets better soon... The best of luck!!!
ricepattyfish5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 10:48 PM   #10 
ricepattyfish5

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/dise...einthehead.php

This is one website with its definition and treatment options for "hole-in-the-head disease", which is what Corsaro had and I am hoping your fish does NOT have. I hope this helps you some.
ricepattyfish5 is offline   Reply With Quote