Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-07-2013, 07:50 PM   #1 
hollyk

Heaters for small tanks?

Hello again, everyone!

I need some help with heaters for very small tanks. Please hear me out for a moment and don't judge- I'm going to buy bigger tanks for the fish. Last weekend, I bought 2 bettas from Walmart that were both in very bad shape. (See a previous thread for all of the gory details.) I didn't want them to die there, and most people wouldn't bring bettas that looked like these guys home. I believe that they most likely would've died if I had left them there, and one of them still doesn't look great. Anyways, I'm a starving grad student, so all I could afford at the moment for them was 1/2 gallon tanks. I'm changing the water daily and the water parameters are okay except for one thing- the temperature.

I'm starting them at 78 degrees, but within a few hours, they've dropped by 10 degrees! I changed the water today before going to my office, and when I got home a few hours later, the temps are at 68-70 degrees. Obviously, that's not going to work out! I really can't afford bigger tanks with heaters at the moment- I'll get them when I get paid at the end of the month. In the meantime, though, does anyone have any suggestions on how to keep the water warm? I am taking classes, assisting teaching classes, holding office hours, etc., so I'm not home all the time. I really can't do water changes every few hours to keep reheating the water. Maybe a couple of times a day, but more than that just won't be feasible. Are there super-tiny heaters in existence that I can use for the time being, or does anyone have any advice on a good way to keep them warm?

Thanks!
hollyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 08:31 PM   #2 
cowboy

I would rather see them have something than to have nothing so here goes... I have seen tiny betta heaters made by marina. There's one called c10 that shuts off and on. It's rated for 2.65 gallons but I've seen it only hold the water temperature up to 74 in a one gallon. There's also a tiny betta heater made by them that's rated min .5 gallon. I have seen that one bring a 2 gallon up to 80 and it doesn't shut off.

I don't know of anything else, good luck. Maybe someone else here can help more.

I've just checked the heater on line. It says for up to 1.5 gallons. I could have sworn I saw one for .5 gallon and up. I don't know if it would be too much for them.

Last edited by cowboy; 10-07-2013 at 08:36 PM.
cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 08:37 PM   #3 
hollyk

Good to know- thanks! This is just a very temporary solution. It's just that I think that the heaters will be more affordable at the moment than full aquaria with heaters. Within a few weeks, all bettas will be happily swimming around in bigger homes! It was just kind of one of those deals where I didn't want to walk away from them in the Walmart. They already had one dead fish lying in the sink, and these two were just in horrible shape. I figured that taking them home in 1/2 gallon tanks for a month would be better than letting them either float on his side in dirty water for one, or let the very advanced fin rot start eating away at the body of the other one. And for what it's worth, the fin rot guy is much better- his fins are actually growing back rather quickly. The other guy still spends a lot of time on his side, but he seems to be coming around today, too. At least he's no longer bloated and he's upright!

Thanks again for your help!
Old 10-07-2013, 08:41 PM   #4 
cowboy

They are definitely better in the .5 gallon (temporarily) than in the store. Good luck with them. The degrees I gave you for the heaters are accurate but be careful, I really don't know if they will be too much or not.
Old 10-07-2013, 08:44 PM   #5 
hollyk

Ok, thanks. They each have thermometers in their tanks, so I'll keep an eye on things!
Old 10-07-2013, 09:15 PM   #6 
ao
TFK Moderator

in my experience with small tanks... (and I mean suppper small ) a 25w adjustable heater will work great. as long as you can get the minimum water level mark on the heater covered, the 25w are much better (and stable) than their smaller preset counterparts.

i believe you can find the hagen elite adjustables on amazon. the title will say "preset" but these heaters will actually have an adjustable knob.

a plus in having a 25w is being able to heat tanks up to 5gallons. This will definitely save you a lot of money in the long run.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 09:27 PM   #7 
cowboy

Great idea, but I contacted hagen and they said there elite was discontinued. I wanted 3 of them. What about the other hagen brand that's replaced it? I can't remember the name but it's also 25 watts.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-07-2013, 09:30 PM   #8 
ao
TFK Moderator

D: that's sad to hear :( it was a great little heater too.... there's also the hydor theo one. but I dont have any personal experience with it....
my favorite heater is actually

*drumrolllll....*

a $5 ebay 25w that ships from China/Hk. there's a thread on ebay heaters, lemme pull it up for you.....

vvvvv linky here vvvvvv
http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/showthread.php?t=268449

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 09:38 PM   #9 
cowboy

I just checked their website. They still sell the 50 watt elite. What's the sense in that? I would appreciate that link too.
Old 10-07-2013, 09:40 PM   #10 
hollyk

Fantastic- thank you so much! That's a great idea, actually. I would love to save money in the long run! I'll look into it!