Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-08-2013, 08:10 AM   #21 
hollyk

Sorry! I bought one for each of my 4 bettas!
hollyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 08:11 AM   #22 
hollyk

The space heater is a good idea. I might do that too, especially because the heat in my apartment is automatic, turned on and adjusted by the building manager. I have no control over it, and it gets a little chilly! I might need a space heater just for myself!
Old 10-08-2013, 08:14 AM   #23 
cowboy

That's ok, my guys are fine with the presets 10 watts for now.
cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 04:02 PM   #24 
peeptoad

I have this one:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It is fairly weak, but it is supposed to warm the water approximately 5-8 degrees above room temp. It is very small and would fit in .5 gal bowl easily. I only use it warm the water when I'm going to do a water change (so it's not actually in the housing tank) and I think it works perfectly for that.

My betta lives in a 2-gallon bowl and the heater that I have in that with him is this one and it works perfectly:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I can keep a steady 76-80 degrees with it, even with drastically fluctuating outdoor temps this time of year.
peeptoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 05:16 PM   #25 
hollyk

Thanks, peeptoad! I ordered some other heaters, but if they don't work or are not adequate, I'll check this one out. It looks nice and small for a small bowl! Thank you.
Old 10-08-2013, 06:12 PM   #26 
Gallifrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollyk View Post
Thanks, peeptoad! I ordered some other heaters, but if they don't work or are not adequate, I'll check this one out. It looks nice and small for a small bowl! Thank you.
By the by, I admire you for rescuing those bettas. :) And definitely do look into purchasing a space heater, especially since winter's coming up. It really does wonders when an aquarium heater randomly stops heating and if you don't have a back up (happened to me with the Aqueon Mini Heater), as well as keeping yourself nice and toasty.
Gallifrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 08:47 PM   #27 
hollyk

Thank you so much! I didn't intend to rescue bettas when I went into Walmart, but they were so sad looking, and I didn't want them to die when I knew that they could probably be saved with a little extra time and attention. And I knew of a wonderful forum where I could get some advice on saving them!

I definitely will be looking into a space heater, if only because I want one for me! It would be nice to have for the parakeet especially, also, as well as the bettas, cat, guinea pig, and clownfish! (I live in a one-bedroom apartment, by the way! heehee)
Old 10-08-2013, 09:22 PM   #28 
bambijarvis

What would be cheaper than two smaller heaters is to divide a ten gallon tank($13 at walmart) and get a heater for that(probably also around $13-$20).
A ten fits nicely on a dresser or TV stands, even alot of corner tables, gives them both rooms to grow and thrive, give you something to decorate over time, and you only need to do water changes on one tank.
bambijarvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 09:29 PM   #29 
hollyk

I think I'll probably do something like that when I get paid, and when I'm confident that all fish are healthy. The guy who is floating on his side and seems to be bloated is looking better, and I'm pretty confident that what he has is not contagious. It is nice to have him in a small, empty tank at the moment though, to monitor whether and how much he is eating, and whether he is eliminating. He has one of the "betta bed" leaf things, so he has a place to lay near the surface, since he was floating a lot anyways. Otherwise I've left all gravel and everything out of the tank so I can keep an eye on things. It also makes daily water changes easier!

The other rescue has pretty advanced fin rot. He's doing much better as well, and his fins are growing back, but I'm not going to put him into a shared aquarium until he's 100% healed. I suppose I can switch around who's living where, though... Both my other 2 bettas looks happy and healthy. Maybe they can live together. Note to self: avoid pet store bettas! I feel sorry for them and want to take them all home, and then I end up in trouble trying to take care of all of them!