Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-08-2013, 12:16 AM   #1 
Skuldane

Ripped gill. Please help!

I am so mad at myself! This is my fault! I was pouring him into a bucket so I could clean his quarantine tank (he has some fin rot) and he got stuck in between the tank and the bucket side as I poured and It appears it ripped his left gill open a little bit. Is there anything I can do besides stress coat and aquarium salt? I assume 100% water changes daily to keep it clean... I am so sad I wanna cry...
Skuldane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 12:57 AM   #2 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Got your PM.

First off, calm down, and don't panic... It won't help and will only make you feel worse. We all make mistakes at one time or another, it's what makes us human.

As with all injuries, clean, warm water and a low stress environment are key to recovery. 100% daily water changes will keep your parameters in check and help get rid of nasties that could take hold and cause infection. I would carefully re-acclimate him back afterwards... You don't want to cause more stress. Keeping it warm is a given. 78-80 degrees is good, too high favors bacterial growth while to low weakens the immune system. To keep stress low, keep the tank dark and quiet... A hiding spot may also be beneficial if he doesn't have one already. Stress coat is great, aquarium salt isn't... Unless you are midway through a ten day course to cure the fin rot, I wouldn't recommend using it as a preventative... It may cause more stress.

Do you have any pictures that I could assess the damage from?
MattsBettas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 01:11 AM   #3 
Skuldane

This is the best I can do for now. I am now on day 4 of salt treatment.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Old 10-08-2013, 01:13 AM   #4 
Skuldane

Bubbles come out that gill now when he eats his pellets. I dont remember seeing that before...
Old 10-08-2013, 01:17 AM   #5 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Ok. That isn't as bad as it could be... Follow the above advice and with a little luck he'll be fine.
Old 10-08-2013, 01:30 AM   #6 
Skuldane

Is it going to heal and be back to normal, or will he forever look like that? The damage does look a little worse looking at the underside view. Also, I am getting worried about the fin rot. It is continuing. Would it be ok to move on to the next step mentioned in the sticky and get the medicine they mentioned? Would it harm the healing of his flap?
Old 10-08-2013, 04:30 AM   #7 
trilobite

+1 Matt.

Bettas are combat fish so can handle some pretty nasty wounds. Luckily its just the gill cover and not his actual gills. Since this is bone I dont know if it will return completely normal but hopefully it will.
Best thing you can do for him is to keep him clean, warm and happy. I'd keep up his fin rot treatment, the last thing you want is the rot taking advantage of his wound

The fact that he is eating means he cant be too upset by his endeavors, which is good news

Good luck, I hope he gets better
trilobite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 12:45 AM   #8 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

How's he doing?
Old 10-09-2013, 01:55 AM   #9 
Skuldane

He is alive and seems ok... The fin rot is worrying me now, I think I am going to go to Petco tomorrow after class and get some Fungus Eliminator and Tetracycline. Any suggestions on what to buy, brands, the actual names? Neither of those should harm his wound? And if I get those should I stop the salt treatment?
Old 10-09-2013, 07:44 AM   #10 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

That won't harm them but I would be careful with medications, as they can do more harm then good when overused or used improperly. What dose of salt is he at?