Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-08-2013, 01:44 PM   #1 
Aqua Aurora

Question Looking for Equipment suggestions for Betta tank

As the title states, I'm looking for suggestions on the goodies that go into a betta tank, specifically filters but also lighting for plants.

I'd orignally looked into getting one of the many (over priced) tanks with built in filters and light but the price tag and bad reviews many get for them makes me rather go with a more traditional tank set up. Aside from possibly lights, setting up a tank and getting a filter and heater would cost less than one of those all included set ups which would be smaller than I want plus I'd still need a heater.. and probably a different light setup for plants..

I plan to eventually get a 5.5 gallon (16lx8wx10h) up and running and have been looking around at what all should be going into it. I decided on going with an Ehiem Jagar heater, I have one in my currently cycling 55 gallon and its worked very well. But I have a harder time figuring out a good filter that gives enough power to properly clean but not so much that its outflow will push the betta all over. I don't want a filter that I have to do a lot of modification on aside from possibly sticking foam on the intake to protect fins, and prefer something that's not a consistent "Well it works great.. for about 3 months then [bleeps] the bed."
I also am looking at lights to do a low to medum light plant set-up (no CO2 so at the low range of medium lighting at most). I've thought about getting another Mareinland DoubleBright (also on the 55 and working well for low light plants in there) but the smallest doublebright would be a bit big for a 5.5 and over hang the edges of the tank.. I'm not really like the idea of that esthetically.

I'd found (and lost.. dang) a page where someone did a CFL light PAR reading test with a nano tank (but did tests with lights high enough that it could be applicable for a 10inch high tank). I've been looking all over for it now to find out which cfl bubls would be a possibility. I wouldn't mind the option of a nice lamp with CFLs to give light for the tank.

Also... random side note: I've heard mention of "giant bettas", haven't looked into them yet, but would they require the 10 gallon set up or work in a 5.5
Aqua Aurora is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 04:56 PM   #2 
kyle89

i got the 5 gallon led tetra set up from walmart for around 30 bucks. while the led sucks for plants the filter is very nive and adjustable. my only down fall was i could not find a hood for a 5 gallon tank so i got a 10 gallon. im looking to get the aqueon quietflow 10
kyle89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 10:21 AM   #3 
Hallyx
Reference Team

If you're planning on stocking a big-fin Betta, you might consider a sponge filter. Lots of filtration with little current.

I think my 13W Curly CFL in a desklamp looks pretty decent over my 5g.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 10:32 AM   #4 
Aqua Aurora

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle89 View Post
i got the 5 gallon led tetra set up from walmart for around 30 bucks. while the led sucks for plants the filter is very nive and adjustable. my only down fall was i could not find a hood for a 5 gallon tank so i got a 10 gallon. im looking to get the aqueon quietflow 10
Thats a nice price! Most of the tank with filter combos I see are over $60 (petstores/everything-in-one stores/online). For a lid I got a see through polycarbinate (like fake flexible glass) from HomeDepot, my husband cut it to fit the large 55gallon and let the necessary piping and appliances into the tank. I'd probably do the same again and just ask him to make several extra slits for airflow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallyx View Post
If you're planning on stocking a big-fin Betta, you might consider a sponge filter. Lots of filtration with little current.

I think my 13W Curly CFL in a desklamp looks pretty decent over my 5g.
I don't plan on big finned bettas, looking around I find I'm in love with the look of the plakat (which i keep wanting to pronounce "palak" lol dyslexia ftl) But a cover on the fitler woudl just be an over precautions action to esnure nothing ever happens. Do you ahve life plants growing in your 5 gallon? If so what kind?
Old 10-09-2013, 11:59 AM   #5 
kyle89

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Aqua-Cultu...-Pets/20693704

this is the 5 gallon tank we started with
kyle89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 01:22 PM   #6 
Aqua Aurora

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle89 View Post
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Aqua-Cultu...-Pets/20693704

this is the 5 gallon tank we started with
And its glass, not acrylic/plastic right?
Old 10-10-2013, 04:11 AM   #7 
WONDERKillie

I have a 20L which my betta shares it with 9 other fish. He loves my cichlid stones I just put in. I have a Tetra brand filter. While most bettas have long flowing fins (like mine) they also love swimming against the current to exercise their fins.

Here is a link to the stones I purchased:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
NOTE: I have the 3 pack, it came with 1 small and 2 large as some reviews say.
WONDERKillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 05:16 AM   #8 
Hallyx
Reference Team

If you think you might get a "giant" Betta, you might consider at least a 10g tank. In a 5g they look like a standard Betta in a 2.5g; doable but not optimum.. And plakats sure like room to swim---mine do. Most "giants" are plakats.

But, if this is your first Betta, you might think about getting a "giant" later. They can be a little finicky---mine was.

I just reread this thread. You have a 55g? A giant would be king of that tank if you stocked it right.

Last edited by Hallyx; 10-10-2013 at 05:20 AM.
Old 10-10-2013, 03:38 PM   #9 
Niece

I would go with a sponge filter like Hallyx said. I hear they are pretty good and cheap from what I've seen.
I know homedepot as clip on lights that you could use on your tank to grow plants.
Niece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 06:00 AM   #10 
Hallyx
Reference Team

To AA: I'm not much of a plant person, just a potted sword and potted java fern under the light, and a stackof various-sized Anubias (bottom to surface) in the dark half. (This is a bare-bottom tank; no substrate.)

I use a 15W curly CFL in a desklamp to light the bright (sword) end of my tank. The Anubias is in shade. I like that contrasty look.

Anyway, what are you doing with that 55g? What are you going to do?

Tags
5.5 gallon tank, equipment, filter, lighting, planted tank