Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-08-2013, 04:16 PM   #1 
Cowdargo

Unhappy Perplexing white specks, Please help!

Hello,

I'm new to raising bettas but have been raising freshwater tropical fish all my life, ie. guppies, sword tails, mollies, etc.

I received a gorgeous half moon betta male named Dagon from my wife for my birthday back in July. About a month ago, Dagon started spitting out his food. I didn't think too much of it as bettas are prone to do that at times but then is started to happen more and more. I also noticed that he had a tiny white speck on his head. It was the only one, he didn't have any others on his body. I assumed it was ich so I bought some nox-ich, I also bought bettafix, and aquarium salt. Dagon is in a one gallon bowl by himself with some gravel and an anubis plant. While I was at the store he flashed and scraped his head open. I treated him with the betta fix and the nox-ich. After three days his head healed but the white speck was still there and he was still having difficulty eating. Then he scratched his head again. After treating him with the bettafix and nox-ich a second time as well as adding frashwater aquarium salt to his water and heating it to 87 degrees with a reptile lamp, his head healed and the spec was still there, then he scratched his head a third time! I took the gravel and the plant out and treated him with just the nox-ich for a third time. He stopped eating entirely. His color faded and I noticed he had fin rot. I bought some malachite blue and treated him with that. After not eating anything for almost nine days, when I treated him with the malachite blue, he is suddenly eating again, his fins are no longer clamped, he's acting like his old self although he is still pale and his fins are still ragged, but he still has that damn white speck on his head, and i noticed another white speck next to it this morning. What is going on? Everything I've done and he still has those white spots on his head. Can someone maybe help me figure out what's up? BTW, I was doing half water changes once a week before he got sick and every three days while I was treating him. Please help!
Cowdargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 08:48 PM   #2 
DracoBetta

This is odd, because what you describe appears to be ick... strange
DracoBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 09:02 PM   #3 
Cowdargo

Unhappy Yeah, I know right

I know, and everything I did should eradicate ich but he still has those spots.
Old 10-08-2013, 09:09 PM   #4 
DracoBetta

Are you sure there's a problem, some scales on my fish changed color but it was natural
Old 10-08-2013, 09:26 PM   #5 
Cowdargo

This is a picture of him. Please tell me what you think. I know its not the best.
Old 10-08-2013, 09:29 PM   #6 
Cowdargo

I don't think it's just his scales changing because he kept scratching his head open in that exact spot, several times.
Old 10-08-2013, 09:44 PM   #7 
DracoBetta

My betta scratches and he's fine, until he got fin rot just recently, like I said, strange...

Tags
bettafix, ich, illness, malachite blue, nox-ich