Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-09-2013, 01:36 AM   #1 
gobettaorgohome

What's growing in the tank - help!

I got back from vacation (Salmon's tank is at the office), and noticed some weird things with the tank. I fished him out immediately and put him in a quarantine bowl. I will clean/disinfect his tank before putting him back. How do I deal with the live plants and logs? Is it enough to just rinse them off with water? I will throw out the rocks if I need to.

I was very conscious about doing a 50% water change weekly, during the last few weeks, I noticed even more nips on his fins so I turned the filter off, which he seemed to get better slightly, and during my week long vacation, I made the mistake of leaving the filter off - but I had a colleague change his water.

A few weeks ago, a couple of these tiny snails popped up in the tank, I didn't know where they came from but figured they may be able to help cycle the tank, so I didn't bother looking into it. Now that I look at the tank, I can see at least 10 snails visible enough, and MANY of them the size of a pen dot all over the sides of the tank. Are they dangerous, as it seems they're multiplying at an insane rate? Also, my rocks at the bottom turned from white to black, and the other side of the tank, the rocks turned from white to brown.

Salmon really doesn't like his quarantine tanks, so I'd love some insight on what I need to do to get his tank back to normal. Thanks!
Attached Images

gobettaorgohome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 03:40 AM   #2 
bambijarvis

I can't tell from the photo, do they have a spirals shell like this(only alot smaller, these are giants):

or one like this:

tops are ramshorns. Not harmful but multiply fast.

the bottom are pond snails.
Also not really harmful, but not very pretty either. can eat your plants and be a bit of a nuisance.
bambijarvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 06:12 AM   #3 
gobettaorgohome

The snails are very small, about the size of 2-3 pellets, but the shell definitely resembles the ramshorns, about 10 of them. There are also around 20-30 of them the size of dots, and I'm sure they will grow fast. I'm just scared as the water is murky, and my rocks have turned black and brown from their usual white shade of color. Do I need a 100% water change, as well as wash the rocks?
gobettaorgohome is offline   Reply With Quote