Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Show Bettas
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-04-2013, 11:04 PM   #1 
Basement Bettas

What is a good Crowntail?

OK.. education time. Here is a picture I have saved of a nice CT. What I would be working towards as a breeder.

Tell me what you like on him and what you think needs improved. Ignore the color issue for now.. we are talking form. Don't want to hear pretty.. take it down to nuts and bolts.
Basement Bettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 11:13 PM   #2 
Mo

Well. My skills are a bit rusty and are nothing to be proud of, lol... I don't know much about CT's except the basic stuff.. I really like him and of course his spread which many CTs don't have.the only issues I can see are the dip in the head which IMO is a bit too much but can easily bred out with a good, long bodied female... So nothing to worry about there. He does have a bit of stair stepping on his dorsal fin and his rays are a bit uneven on his tail... R maybe it's stair stepping. But in his tail he has that little stub thing then nice long double rays which I also love, I can't really tell if he has partially double rays and triple rays but if he has both then I guess that's a fault to because it's considered uneven branching...right?. Such a nice fish though
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 12:23 AM   #3 
Basement Bettas

Spread.. yes you want to see the outside rays go 180. So look at those out side rays. He has the 180 but where can you fault those rays?
Old 10-05-2013, 12:28 AM   #4 
dramaqueen
Banned

I spotted the dip in the head but that's about all my untrained eye could spot. Lol
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 12:47 AM   #5 
Basement Bettas

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramaqueen View Post
I spotted the dip in the head but that's about all my untrained eye could spot. Lol
Keep looking. We are working the tail now. We have the spread that is 180. Look at that first ray since the bottom one is difficult to see.
Old 10-05-2013, 12:55 AM   #6 
trilobite

He has short outer rays and uneven web reduction in the tail. Theres also something pretty weird going on spike wise in the middle of his caudal, looks like theres some thin extra spikes that dont belong anywhere.
Anal fin looks messy, stubby first dorsal ray and his body is too thin and weak looking for my liking.
But overall a much nicer ct than the majority of them
trilobite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 01:00 AM   #7 
bambijarvis

first ray on the tail is short, also looks like a mix of single and double?(I haven't slept n 48+ hours, eyes are blury).
also web reduction isn't even, the dorsal looks like it has too much/more than 50% and it's not even with the tail's
bambijarvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 01:03 AM   #8 
Basement Bettas

the first ray is short... you want that as long and straight as a halfmmoon's. You do not want rounded edges on the CT either

And the reduction is inconsistent. He could probably get away with this in a show depending on the competition.. but as a breeder you want to look hard at this and work for evenness here.

Old 10-05-2013, 01:11 AM   #9 
Basement Bettas

You also want to see that web reduction the same in all fins. He is pretty good in this area.. often you seen the dorsal has huge reductions and the other fins not so much..

Old 10-05-2013, 01:12 AM   #10 
Basement Bettas

Now what about his over all balance? You want to connect the tops of those rays and see what you have. Should see good HM type form. How does he do in that area?

Tags
crowntail form, judging form