Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Show Bettas
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-09-2013, 10:58 AM   #1 
snowflake311

Could this male give me show big ears?

I want to work with big ears. I have a red bi color female aka salamander. Who is pretty nice not perfect.

I am not crazy about this males color but his form to me looks really good best big ear I have seen in a long time. I am not sure I should buy him? So could someone help me. I want to breed fish with good form first work on color later.

http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/aucti...hmp&1381355790
The male

My female I don't like her dorsel fin.

This photo shows her color well

Last edited by snowflake311; 10-09-2013 at 11:05 AM.
snowflake311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 03:34 PM   #2 
snowflake311

I only have an hour left to get him. I really love everything about him but his color. I should just wait for the perfect fish? Or am I being too picky?
Old 10-09-2013, 08:42 PM   #3 
Aluka

Did you get him? He is pretty, sorry i am not qualify to give you any advice in show forms =(.
Aluka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 08:49 PM   #4 
litelboyblu

no she didnt .
litelboyblu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 10:28 PM   #5 
snowflake311

I let him go but he did not sell so I might email the breeder.

All the other big ears are awful looking bad bad fins and poor form.
Old 10-10-2013, 06:36 AM   #6 
Ilikebutterflies

I would have bought him. Here's why. He may not give you show quality on his own but he would improve your female and that's the name of the game. Improve and improve until you get quality. Your female has a pretty rough anal. His looks pretty good. His dorsal is a nice fan shape. Hers is rough with reduced webbing. Now, his topline looks a bit wonky to me but hers looks OK. She is reddish and he's carrying a lot of red so you would actually be working away from salamander and towards red with that pair. I would look for a non red salamander for either of these OR work into your line later on if you buy him. The blueish yellowish ones are what I'm referring to.
Ilikebutterflies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 10:40 AM   #7 
snowflake311

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilikebutterflies View Post
I would have bought him. Here's why. He may not give you show quality on his own but he would improve your female and that's the name of the game. Improve and improve until you get quality. Your female has a pretty rough anal. His looks pretty good. His dorsal is a nice fan shape. Hers is rough with reduced webbing. Now, his topline looks a bit wonky to me but hers looks OK. She is reddish and he's carrying a lot of red so you would actually be working away from salamander and towards red with that pair. I would look for a non red salamander for either of these OR work into your line later on if you buy him. The blueish yellowish ones are what I'm referring to.
In the photo on the right his top line looks weird but on the left it looks good to me. I think in the right photo his body is kind of turned like he is doing that shimmy.

I emailed the breeder asking if he still had him. We will see. I think he could help make some nice fish. I do love the blue yellow bi color/ salamander. That is what I would want to work towards.

Thanks no I will just have to see if the breeder still has him. Because lately the selection of big ears I have been seeing is not good. Lots have pectorals that are as big as their tail.
Old 10-10-2013, 10:20 PM   #8 
snowflake311

Well I got him. The breeder still has him and he is selling him to me the deal is made. So that's my new pair. My daughter who is 4 bought him for my birthday haha that's what I say.
Old 10-11-2013, 01:36 AM   #9 
dramaqueen
Banned

Lol Congrats!
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 08:41 AM   #10 
litelboyblu

Ya! Congrats
litelboyblu is offline   Reply With Quote