Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-27-2009, 11:40 PM   #1 
PeachyKeen

Question Ways to improve tank?

I'm a freshman in college and I just got a female betta fish yesterday to keep me company. I had no idea what to buy so I bought a small-ish tank, I've looked all over the box and I can't find how big it is exactly. She seems to be doing ok but I was just wondering if there were any inexpensive ways that I could improve her tank? I can't really spend a lot of money on a bigger tank or filters or anything, but I want to make sure she's happy.
PeachyKeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 01:21 AM   #2 
AngelicScars

At least 2 gallons is recommended. A mini heater is important if the room temp is low (you want the water to be around 78-80 degrees F), but the smallest tank they can go in are 2-2.5 gallon tanks.
Plants that won't tear the Betta's fins and a hiding place are great. Also, remember to have a breathable lid on the tank because they are jumpers!
AngelicScars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 04:20 PM   #3 
bettaboo

get some fake plants that have leaves that are rounded and wont tear at the fishes delicate fins. better yet, get some that have fabric leaves, they are much gentler on the betta., and if you want to save money on plastic caves for your betta, get a clay flowerpot, and rinse it really well. and put it on its side in the tank, your betta will love a little place to hang around in. the pots are much cheaper than the petstores caves, and the smooth sides are gentle on the bettas tail.
bettaboo is offline   Reply With Quote