Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-09-2013, 06:58 PM   #1 
fishgeek

When is the bubble nest ready?

So, I know that the bubble nests vary in size, but how many 'layers' should there be? Right now I have my pair in the breeding tank and the female is jarred while the male is working on his nest. He's been at it for about 5 hours and it's still just a single layer of bubbles, which doesn't seem like enough to me. I'm trying to decide if I should release the female within the next hour and let him finish with her free swimming or leave her jarred until the nest looks a little more substantial. Advice??
fishgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 01:45 AM   #2 
fishgeek

here's an update of what I decided to do: http://bettalog.blogspot.com/2013/10/day-one.html

anyone ever have issues with Indian Almond leaves sinking on the bubble nest?
Old 10-10-2013, 03:02 AM   #3 
shannonpwns

When my bettas finally spawned, there was 0 bubbles in his nest. Somehow those eggs were staying up, clinging to debris basically LOL. My male was a lazy sucker, but it worked out!

Can you tape the IAL to the glass in case it wants to sink? I used a styrofoam cup in my tank, and IAL, and luckily my male chose the styrofoam cup.
shannonpwns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 12:06 PM   #4 
fishgeek

I thought about taping the leaf, but the bubble nest is under/next to it and I don't want to risk disturbing the nest. It's kinda tricky! I have a styrofoam cup in there too, but he decided to go with the almond leaf this time which of course is in the back corner of the tank:P
Old 10-10-2013, 09:55 PM   #5 
fishgeek

is it normal for the bubble nests to get destroyed a couple times during the breeding process? The Indian Almond leaf sank and messed up the bubble nest :/ It's been 2 days now, and both nests that Neptune has made have been all or partially destroyed. I feel so bad for him, he's spent hours working on them.
Old 10-11-2013, 12:47 AM   #6 
shannonpwns

If the female doesn't like the nest, or isn't ready, she will destroy it, mine did several times...and they ended up mating under the cup with no nest at all. Go figure.
Old 10-11-2013, 02:05 AM   #7 
fishgeek

thanks for all of the input! I think I'll give them through the end of tomorrow, maybe a little longer depending on their behavior. So far they are both acting exactly how they should be. The female, Rain, even holds her ground and gets very close to the male (Neptune) at times. She checks out the bubble nest every now and then. I'm hoping for a successful spawning soon, but I'm prepared to recondition and set up the second pair if things don't work out this time.
Old 10-11-2013, 04:33 AM   #8 
shannonpwns

Hopefully she submits soon and stops destroying his nest! Don't they see how hard those guys work on it?? Lol!

How long did you condition them before you put them in the spawning tank? My pair didn't spawn the first try, and I think it's because I didn't condition the female properly, and I jarred her for a day before releasing her. After reconditioning for two weeks, I just added them in at the same time, and had eggs 24 hours later.
Old 10-11-2013, 02:15 PM   #9 
fishgeek

what if the male is ready, but the female is not? could I take her out and introduce a different female?
Old 10-11-2013, 03:21 PM   #10 
shannonpwns

If she is conditioned, and healthy, I don't see why not...