betta fish

Old 10-09-2013, 10:17 PM   #1 
blazeblades

Post I think my beta fish has severe bacterial infection

I believe im supposed to answer these questions when asking for help:

Housing
What size is your tank? 10 gallons
What temperature is your tank? About 79 degrees Fahrenheit
Does your tank have a filter? It normally does, but at first we thought Missy Fishy was pregnant (we weren't breeding her), so we turned it off and now it won't start up again.
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? It used to until our beta bloated up.
Is your tank heated? Yes.
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? A male beta, Mr.Swifty

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? 2 different types of flakes, and 1 type of pellet, no certain order.
How often do you feed your betta fish? at least once a day, at most twice a day.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? We used to do it once a month, now we do it when we get around to doing it (once we see the walls fog up).
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Stress Zyme+

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? No, I haven't.

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? My Female has loss of color, Red spot on her left side, surrounded by white, open hole on her right side also surrounded by white, stomach bulging where the red and holes are.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? She used to force Mr. Fishy wait to eat, sometimes let him chase her around, she now stays in the corner nose pointing upward, doesn't eat much, if at all.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? About a week ago.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Today was when I frist noticed she wasn't pregnant, so we haven't started so we can start the right way.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Not that I know of.
How old is your fish (approximately)? We got her as an adult in a store, and we've had her for about 6 months, maybe 7.

So I don't know if she has bacterial infection or not, if it's Dropsy, which is the only other choice I know of she has a little bit of time left if i read a true article about it. I don't have pictures right now, I'll add them later if I can.
blazeblades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 10:57 PM   #2 
blufish425

I'm not sure what to address first here... You should absolutely never keep a male and a female betta together. It may seem ok temporarily, but it is highly likely that one will eventually kill the other. I'm not sure if the pet store employees told you this is ok, but it absolutely is NOT.

She needs to be removed IMMEDIATELY, and put into a quarantine tank. I'm not sure exactly what the "open holes" on her body are without a picture. They are likely either bacterial, or they are injuries from the two fish fighting. She also needs treatment, but pictures would be necessary to determine what kind. No matter what she needs to be removed from the tank, if she is sick, your male could catch it, and if she is injured he will very likely kill her.

If you want to keep the two of them in the same tank in the future, or ANY two bettas, you need to divide the tank in half. They sell dividers at petsmart/petco

Also, Female bettas do not get pregnant. Bettas are bubblenesters, the males build a bubblenest, the female lays eggs, and the male watches over the nest until the eggs hatch. It is likely you thought she was pregnant because she has been egg bound all this time from being kept with a male.
blufish425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 11:06 PM   #3 
blufish425

I'm going to tentatively suggest, since I haven't seen a picture, that if nothing else you add some Aquarium Salt to her quarantine tank once you remove her. Add just a little bit, about 1 tsp/gallon. If you are able to put her in a spare tank/cup/jar/anything, you can let that float in your main tank, maybe duct tape it to the side of the tank so it doesn't tip, and that way she will stay warm, but be in her own little space.
Old 10-09-2013, 11:08 PM   #4 
blazeblades

I know the males make bubblenests and when she first got sick our male started to make a nest, and the most violent they have ever been was a chase through the tank, and a nip at the tails, not enough to get fin rot, I've never seen any black lines. but here's a few pictures: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/utsvqd0ywss1xo0/2ToTmFP2Iw
In the last picture she was on her side and at the back of the tank.
Old 10-09-2013, 11:10 PM   #5 
blufish425

They still should never be together permanently. To me that looks possibly like an injury, but I would just remove her and wait for somebody else to look at the pictures.
Old 10-09-2013, 11:12 PM   #6 
blazeblades

ok, I haven't got a picture of the hole yet, but maybe tomorrow I will. And does it have to be aquarium salt, or can it be another type of salt?
Old 10-09-2013, 11:22 PM   #7 
blufish425

You could use Kosher salt also, but not regular table salt.
Old 10-09-2013, 11:24 PM   #8 
blazeblades

Thank you for the help, I probably will need more later, but still thank you.
Old 10-09-2013, 11:42 PM   #9 
blufish425

No problem!
Old 10-10-2013, 03:39 PM   #10 
blazeblades

I just got 2 goodish pictures of her right side, one from a slight distance, the other kinda closer. and i got a possibly better picture of her left side. She will swim upwards a little, then fall back down right afterwards, and where her scales are (I'm meaning the white parts in the pictures) it looks kinda like fluff. I haven't gone to the store yet, but I hope to be able to today. Picture are in the same place as last time.