Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-10-2013, 01:06 AM   #1 
Niece

Question Heater question.

So I have a hydor 25 watt heater, and I just recently noticed that the indicator light is flickering. Not going on and off or anything just flickering kinda like a flame would. Well I have 2 of them and I can't really tell if the other one is doing it or not..maybe i'm just paranoid and never noticed it before.
Anyways anyone else's do this?
Niece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 01:46 AM   #2 
Niece

The light is shutting on and off like it supposed to though....
Old 10-10-2013, 02:54 AM   #3 
WONDERKillie

I don't know much about other heaters, but I'd recommend getting a Tetra heater instead. They are set to stay at 78 degrees F and the indicator stays a solid green if working properly.

You can find them on Amazon for around $12 USD.
WONDERKillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 06:26 AM   #4 
SalsaMom

How old is the heater? Maybe call their customer service number.
Do you have a thermometer in the tank as a double-check? If so just keep a close eye on it. If not - I'd snag one soon.
SalsaMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 06:41 AM   #5 
rickey
Banned

One of two thing can be wrong the small capacitor across the neon bulb can be bad making the bulb flicker this does not affect the heater as far as heating

or

the heater thermostat is failing which can affect the heaters performance.

R
rickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 02:26 PM   #6 
Niece

Thanks for the replies.
Well the heater is still under warranty i'm sure since I got it a week ago or something like that so I could always send it back.
And i'm sure it's heating fine..idk i'll keep an eye on it for couple days I guess then go from there.
Old 10-11-2013, 02:08 AM   #7 
Hallyx
Reference Team

I would never use a pre-set heater. Always a quality adjustable. And, just my personal opinion, I would never buy anything from Tetra except, maybe, Safestart.
Hallyx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 11:59 PM   #8 
FirstBetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickey View Post
One of two thing can be wrong the small capacitor across the neon bulb can be bad making the bulb flicker this does not affect the heater as far as heating

or

the heater thermostat is failing which can affect the heaters performance.

R
Rickey hit the nail on the head. The pilot lite on the hydor heater and maybe some others is a neon bulb which reacts almost instantly to the voltage applied to it so since we use AC current the bulb is just reacting to the instantaneous variations in the electric supply. Nothing to worry about unless it stays off and the tank temp starts to decrease.
FirstBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 12:07 AM   #9 
FirstBetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by WONDERKillie View Post
I don't know much about other heaters, but I'd recommend getting a Tetra heater instead. They are set to stay at 78 degrees F and the indicator stays a solid green if working properly.

You can find them on Amazon for around $12 USD.
A preset heater leaves you at the mercy of the manufactures control of the thermostats he puts in the heater. The thermostats used to be bimetallic which you would be lucky to get +/- 4 deg accuracy. The adjustable heaters while a few dollars more expensive allow you to have control of the setting. If you need to raise the temp for therapeutic reasons you are out of luck with the preset heaters.
FirstBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 01:05 PM   #10 
Gallifrey

You probably don't even need to send it back to the manufacturer. If you bought it in-store, try bringing it back to the store. Local pet stores sometimes have a 7-14 day exchange policy, whereas chain stores 30-60 days. But definitely don't go for a preset heater; adjustable takes more of the worry away about reliable temperature.
Gallifrey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
25 watt, heater, hydor heater