Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-10-2013, 09:38 AM   #1 
venakhol

petco rescue w/ fin rot- newbie betta owner

I have an elephant ear betta I rescued from Petco (poor sweetie was still playful and excited despite the back half of all his fins being translucent) and I have no experience caring for bettas, so I was wondering what the best ideas for treatment are?

Also, I'm wondering if 50% water changes 2x a week is enough/too much for an uncycled tank (his fins were getting damaged by the little container so I put him in the tank after I had rinsed it a lot and let it cycle for ~12 hours, I know that's too soon). I don't care about the work required, I just want to help him get better.

Housing
What size is your tank? 3 Gal (largest allowed by my college, sorry)
What temperature is your tank? 82 degrees
Does your tank have a filter? Yes, gentle
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? Yes, gentle
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? aqueon betta food, tetra dried bloodworms every other day
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2x a day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? 2x a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Tetra Bettasafe, 22 drops

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? No, but I'm getting a liquid testing kit in the mail tomorrow

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? N/A, came with translucent fin edges
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? N/A, active
When did you start noticing the symptoms? N/A
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Yes, 25% water change daily, 8 drops Betta Revive 2x/day, I took out the filter but don't know if I should've or not???
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No
How old is your fish (approximately)? His body is about an inch and a half long, so I think 6months?
venakhol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 10:34 AM   #2 
NeptunesMom

If his fins are translucent it means they are growing back. Black or red edges are signs of fin rot. Sounds to me like he's recovering fine.
NeptunesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 10:54 AM   #3 
venakhol

Thank you! he still has some black on the edges of his top fin, but its gone from being along 70% ish of the edges to less than half. if you don't mind my asking, I currently have relatively plastic plants in the tank, but have silk ones coming in the mail. should I take them out if I'm not sure if they're soft enough?
venakhol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 11:02 AM   #4 
cowboy

1. A 3 gallon is nothing to apologize for. He has a GOOD home
2. IMO I would worry about the plastic plants if they are able to rip his fins. I've seen many that would be fine to use although IMO silk is preferable
cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 12:51 PM   #5 
NeptunesMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by venakhol View Post
Thank you! he still has some black on the edges of his top fin, but its gone from being along 70% ish of the edges to less than half. if you don't mind my asking, I currently have relatively plastic plants in the tank, but have silk ones coming in the mail. should I take them out if I'm not sure if they're soft enough?
How I determine my plastic plants is by running my finger along the edge. If it leaves a small indention or cuts into the skin then I won't use them. If it is soft enough that it doesn't leave a mark then I use them. I have plastic plants in many tanks.
NeptunesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 03:47 PM   #6 
hollyk

I've heard that, as a a general rule, if a plastic plant or other decoration would snag a pair of pantyhose run along it, it will also rip your betta's fins.
hollyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 03:49 PM   #7 
hollyk

By the way, congrats on your new friend! Elephant ears are the best. I just got my first one- a female plakat with elephant ears. I named her Celeste (apparently there's an elephant in "Babar" called Celeste? I don't know. I was looking for a good elephant name. lol) But bettas are so addictive! I hope you enjoy your new hobby! Sounds like your new buddy found a great home.
hollyk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
finrot, newbie