Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-10-2013, 10:59 AM   #1 
Finley Jayne

Exclamation Lethargic Betta... ??

Hi... I'm Fin and I need some help with my betta fish.

Info and background:
I have a 2.5 gallon tank divided into two sections. Each sections houses a male betta. One is white and the other is Multi colored. I got the white one yesterday as a replacement for my other betta who died a few days ago as a result of poor food quality (unknown info at the time; I have better food now). I know the water is a bit chilly, but I don't have a heater and I don't know any home ways to heat a tank. The Multi colored betta's name is Nemo. This morning I noticed he was slow and lethargic. Casper (the white one) was acting a bit slow too, but still swims around. Nemo, on the other hand, is hanging out at the top and not diving as much. He will swim, but he swims with his mouth at the top and will swim around the filter a bit, then hover for a bit. He swims with his mouth on the surface pretty much all the time except for occasions. He's new too, so I still have the store "warranty" on him as well as well as Casper. I am cruelly pretty sure that Nemo has some sort of disability, because it seems a bit difficult for him to use his right fin. About the physical appearance...There's no visible bloating, but he hasn't eaten. Casper ate this morning, but Nemo pushed his pellet around and has ignored it. I have taken it out to reduce ammonia levels. Since the water is a little but cold, I've turned on a hot lamp by my bed and turned on the tank light, as well as opened the blinds in my room to offer more light and possible warmth. The fish are kept on a diet of Omega One Betta Buffet Pellets. Other than that, I can't think of any other info needed.

Questions:
What's going on?
Is it fixable or terminal?
Where can I buy heaters?
Is a submersible heater okay?
Is he just cold, or is this serious?
Is there a safe way to heat the water from home items?

I would rather him not die, as this would be the second death in less than a week. Please answer this if you can; I need to know how to treat my betta. I don't think it's swimbladder, because he is not bloated and the pellets are MUCH better than what I used to have.

Please answer, I am paranoid and nervous for the well-being of my fish.

Thanks
Fin
Attached Images

Finley Jayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 11:00 AM   #2 
Finley Jayne

**"Actually" not "cruelly"
Old 10-10-2013, 11:14 AM   #3 
kefinlin

Hi Fin!

do you use water conditioner?

do you have a test kit to test the water parameters?
kefinlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 11:34 AM   #4 
Finley Jayne

Quote:
Originally Posted by kefinlin View Post
Hi Fin!

do you use water conditioner?

do you have a test kit to test the water parameters?
I don't have a water kit, but yes I use water conditioner. The other fish is fine so I don't know what's going on.
Old 10-10-2013, 12:28 PM   #5 
xjenuhfur

I would get a thermometer and check the temp of the tank. And I would also make sure you change the water frequently.
You mentioned that another fish recently passed, did you do a complete water change and make sure to clean the tank /well/ after he passed?
xjenuhfur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 10:58 AM   #6 
Finley Jayne

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjenuhfur View Post
I would get a thermometer and check the temp of the tank. And I would also make sure you change the water frequently.
You mentioned that another fish recently passed, did you do a complete water change and make sure to clean the tank /well/ after he passed?
Yes. I cleaned it well. He actually died later that night when I was out with my family. I came home and found him belly up. There's only Casper left. I've shifted him to the old tank and only put treated water in it. He seems okay.... But I don't know why they're all dying.

Tags
heater, homemade, questions, sick betta, urgent answers needed!