Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-01-2009, 03:48 PM   #11 
RoseyD

I'm really (REALLY) trying to not do that. I'd like to have all the fish in 'bigger' and heated tanks before the cold season comes.

the bowl was originally intended to be a 'Q' tank - but you see how well that one worked.

Every time I visit a fish store, I end up putting in a new resident. I really need to stop.

The 20 G will have room for 5+ females though... although I may take my time in setting it up.

I don't actually know where I'm going to put these two tanks. My apartment has too many as is...

I am considering the 15 gallon to go into either the back hallway, or in the kitchen. (both spots have wall restrictions - that I think the 15 may squeeze into.

but the 20G ... well - that one is still up in the air. I'm going to have to do some major furniture moving to fit another 'big' tank... I may be able to move the 5 gallon into the bathroom - and put the 20 gallon between the two front windows of my library...

Thank goodness I live alone - if I had to explain new tanks and more fish to anyone - I'm sure I'd be considered certifiable 'ready for a mental ward'...
RoseyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 10:45 AM   #12 
RoseyD

Ok, I picked up the tanks last night, and I'm going to have to buy covers for them, and filters, and heaters...

I'd like to find glass covers that will allow me to put in some higher wattage lights for my live plants that I love so well.

I'm wondering what filters to put that will not give too much surface agitation, but will be suitable for circulating the 'deep' bottoms. My other 20g High has a power head for lower circulation and a canister filter - I love the canister filters too, but the current is crazy strong - and I can well imagine how scary it would be, for bettas in divided tanks...

Any suggestions for a filter that has a deep reach (18" tall tank) but that's gentle enough for my 15 gallon tank/divided for two bettas?

Id been considering to use two duetto 100's (one for each side of the divider) - but this will not give me 'lower' circulation (or the deeper inflow tube for suctioning), so I'd love whatever feedback/suggestions others have used on this 15g H. (or high tanks in general) sizes.

thanks
Old 09-04-2009, 01:52 AM   #13 
RoseyD

update- Im crazy! CRAZY. I couldnt find the materials to make the dividers at walmart. I bought a filter for the 15 gallon though and a hood and the lightbulbs... then I stopped at PETCO which is dangerous for me...

how do I say this? I started looking at the bettas ... they put them right beside the door and I just couldnt resist...

I picked up about 3 girls ... and 2 boys... and I was thinking that I could always add a few girls to my existing sorority. ... and then I checked the back and they were so pretty back there...

so I put some more containers in my cart. and then I walked by a tank that seemed reasonable... but then I remembered about the sale. so I went and looked at the basic glass tanks and decided to make another betta sorority since I'd picked up 8 containers with little girl bettas and I felt bad to break any hearts by putting them back on the shelf. -

so 10 bettas total. and still no dividers. petco didnt have any in stock.

I went home and moved the small tanks around so that I could put the 20 g long in the library. I prepared the substrate and got the water in there. and set the ornament and the floaters but I have a lot of planting to do when the substrate settles more.

there's 9 girls total in the new tank ... all small and in cluding the possible girl betta simplex I bought last weekend.

they are busy doing the ranking dances and I left a small lamp on in the library so that I wouldnt put them in total darkness among so many aggressive fish together. the tank has a lot of floaters and a huge colloseum ornament to hide among shadows.

the two boys. both beautiful. I am temp housing the king betta in a 2 gallon bowl. and the delta tail male in a half gallon. tomorrow I need to find divider materials or dividers from another petstore and get my 2 other tanks prepared. ... both divided in two. the 15 gallon planted. Im still considering the 20 H ... Im running out of live plant clippings.

anyways. that's the day's saga. Im looking forward to seeing how their personalities combine over the next weeks.

and what to name them? 8 girls without names. like little jewels ...blues and tourquoise, reds and lilac.

the boys are easy ... 2 more knights ... gallahad? king Richard the lionheart? ... nothing like naming the boys after heroic figures.
Old 09-04-2009, 09:26 AM   #14 
doggyhog

Oh goodness!!!! That is AWESOME!!! :)
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 04:50 PM   #15 
Jupiter

Wow, that sounds amazing! I wish I could do that. Good luck!
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 08:01 PM   #16 
Kim

^ My thoughts exactly!

Wow, what an amazing day!!!! You must have had some fun....I've been saying lately that one year when it's Christmas time I'll go to the store and buy every single betta there just because I always feel so bad leaving the others behind to end up who knows where and probably only live for a few more months. Did you buy out the store lol!

As for water movement in the divided tanks, maybe you could buy an extender for the intake tubes...or maybe just a little silicone tubing if you can't find anything that's specially made to extend them deeper into the tank. For my divided tanks I put the intake tube of the filter on one side and the outflow deposits the water into the other. I don't have anything bigger than a 15 long though.
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 08:04 PM   #17 
Vikki81207

Oh wow! That's great!! Can't wait for pics!
Vikki81207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 08:06 PM   #18 
Kim

Pictures! Pictures! Pictures!

I demand pictures!!
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 01:56 AM   #19 
RoseyD

yes I know. I have quite the project ahead. my 5 day vacation- long weekend and the first day was in shopping fish equip. then bettas, then a tank... I was nowhere close to buying them all- sadly enough . ten bettas barely dented what was on their shelves.

all those poor boys who I dont have room for. It doesnt help that they are so territorial ...but Im helping as much as I can.

the girls - all 13 are in the one long tank now. and it's mostly the little 'newbies' who are bickering. luckily Pearl and Ruby (at double the size) are behaving themselves. there are so many of them that I do believe that the aggression wont last long. one chase will start and two other girls will get mixed in the chase and then the more aggressive beginner doesnt know who to chase.

it sure is an entertaining tank to watch.

king Richard is also getting aclimated to the 20H. yes a lot of changes happening.

still havent found dividers so havent set up the 4 remaining boys in the two empty tanks I got on tuesday.
Old 09-06-2009, 08:24 AM   #20 
AlexXx

wow! you have quite the project ahead of you. I wish i had room for more tanks! ive only been in this hobbie for less then a month and already 3 fishes. I dont want to see what ill have by christmas.... My g/f and i live in a house sharing with 2 other buddies of mine. The only place for tanks is my room (no walls or tables left at all, just got rid of the lamp on my night stand for a 10 gal :) ) Anyway, we are looking for a place to our selves, 1 bedroom i hope, and that will leave me plenty of room! id love to make a 20 gal planted tank! :) Good luck!
AlexXx is offline   Reply With Quote