Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-01-2009, 02:52 PM   #1 
bluebettafish

Hole on his fin

Hello. When I picked out my betta a few weeks ago, I noticed that his fin (one on his back) is shaped weird. It sort of folds to one side. I thought this might be bad but I took him home anyway.

I noticed recently that there is a small hole inside the part where it folds. It could be from the plants. I should have figured this out earlier but I have live plants and some have pointy leaves. So I read this forum and it sounds like salt bath is the way to help him with this? How does it work?
bluebettafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 04:02 PM   #2 
bettaboo

well, first of all, you might not have to go directly to a salt bath.
first, answer the basic betta care questions:
1) is his tank big enough (2 gallon MINIMUM)
2) is he fed his betta food along with other foods such as brine shrimp, tubifex worms and bloodworms? these make him healthier and much brighter
3) is his tank clean? is it cleaned often?
just the basic obvious ones.
after these are complete, maybe remove the pointy and sharp plants and replace them with fabric/silk plants.
also remove any toys that are sharp, maybe put a clay flowerpot tipped on its side into the tank. they are smooth and nwont rip the bettas fins.
give it a few weeks. if there is nothing in there to hurt him, his fin will heal on its own.
bettaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 05:29 PM   #3 
bluebettafish

1) 3 gallon tank with filter
2) I give him pellets every day and bloodworms twice a week. I'll go check out the shrimp today.
3) It looks clean. I'm new with bettas so I'm still learning the optimal condition for them but I've only had the tank for a few weeks so it can't be that dirty. I changed 1/4 -1/3 of the water 1 - 2 times a week since I put him in that tank. I don't even know if it's necessary with the filter but it doesn't seem like it takes everything out so I thought it's still a good idea. I'm gonna go look at the vacuum today.

I have the flower pot but he doesn't seem to care for it. I see him peeking in every once in a while but he rarely goes in.

I'll consider removing the pointy plants (would it be bad to just cut the points??). I don't really like them anyway. He seems to like the rounder ones I have on the other side.
bluebettafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 02:48 PM   #4 
bettaboo

its good that you have him in a good tank with a filter.
do you have a heater? without the correct warm tempurature, bettas are sluggish and slow and their colours disappear.
keep the tempurature between 76-84 degrees, the warmer the better.
you can cut the point if the plants have leaves, but if the plant is grass, then id remove it because ievn if you cut the pointy tip off, the long part could still get in the hole and rip it even further.
also you could go and get a small bottle of bettafix, which helps repair ripped and torn fins, along with rin rot.
hopefully it will regrow his tail. but you could do a salt bath, as they are known to work as well. good luck!
bettaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 03:11 PM   #5 
sumsum

It probably was a plant that ripped his fin this happened to Clyde. Is it necessary to feed things other than Betta bits to my Betta to keep him healthy?
sumsum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 05:54 PM   #6 
dramaqueen
Banned

It's a good idea to feed your betta a variety of foods like brine shrimp, bloodworms and daphnia, either frozen or freeze dried.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote