Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-11-2013, 11:43 AM   #1 
boopers93

Fin Rot & Shredded Tail.

Long story short my fish landed on the floor. I picked him up & I thought he was dead. I threw him in a bowl to flush him but then he started to move. He never recovered from his Fin Rot earlier this year. He looks miserable. I'm not sure if I should try to save him or just let him go.
boopers93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 07:31 PM   #2 
hollyk

I hope someone who knows more about it can come on to help, but in the meantime, I would say that you should try to save him. I don't know what you mean by "just let him go," but most euthanasia techniques used for fish are pretty cruel, including flushing them (which I know you were planning to do when you thought he was actually dead. I just hope you don't do it while he's alive! Actually, flushing them is bad for the environment in any case, so I wouldn't flush him post-mortem either.)

I've been using Jungle Fungus Clear, which is quite cheap at Walmart, to treat fin rot on one of my rescue bettas. He had very advanced fin rot when I got him; I'm not sure how bad your guy's is. I also don't know if treating with a medication is good after the trauma of falling. So I hope someone with more experience is able to offer better advice, but in the meantime, I'd say hold tight. Often, treating a fish can be inexpensive and easier than you might think. Good luck with him!
hollyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 02:10 AM   #3 
blufish425

I would absolutely try to save him, how have you been treating his fin rot?
blufish425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 10:39 AM   #4 
NeptunesMom

You will need to be clear about what all the problems are? Does he still HAVE fin rot? Is the tail part of the fall? Fish jump all the time and land on the floor. They are usually shocked and dazed but recover fine.

Also, as stated above, never flush a dead fish. It is an environmental hazard and illegal.
NeptunesMom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dying, heavily breathing, miserable betta, shredded tail