Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-01-2009, 11:59 PM   #1 
Gilbert

Problems with Betta and other fish

I have 4 panda Cory, 3 albino Cory, 2 African dwarf frogs, a otto's and my betta in a 10 gallon tank. Everything has been great until about an hour ago I go to feed Gilbert and his back fin is half missing and the rest of his fin has holes and is shredded. I freaked out and took him out of the tank and put him in a vase with some betta fin medication. So my question is, WHO could of attacked Gilbert??? Also should I get him a new tank just for him or would it be safe to put him back in the tank in a few days?
Gilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 01:04 AM   #2 
bettaboo

well bettas arent always meant to be community fish, but maybe your other fish are a tad agressive, and bettas tails and fins are very delicate and easy to rip.
do you have any pointy or sharp plants, decorations or objects in your tank? if you do, i suggest silk/fabric plants, they wont hurt your bettas fins. also, if you have some sort of cave, replace it with a flowerpot (well washed of course) on its side in the aquarium. the sides are smooth and wont grab, tug or pull at your bettas fins. good luck, and also watch to see if your betta shows fear near your other fish, maybe it flees when they come near? and also watch for any bullying behaviour in your other fish.
bettaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 01:11 AM   #3 
bettaboo

if your other fish continue to be agressive, maybe its time to invest in a new tank for the betta all to himself
bettaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 06:02 PM   #4 
fishyinpa

Hmm...corys arent fin nippers...I read frogs can be though. Else it could be your plants or decorations.
fishyinpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 10:48 PM   #5 
Gilbert

Well all the plants in the tank are silk and I have no sharp decor or anything. I really think it was the frogs =(

Here are soon pictures I just took of him. I'm going to buy him a 5 gallon tank on Saturday but for now he's in a vase :(

Gilbert is offline   Reply With Quote