Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-01-2009, 10:00 PM   #1 
kal123456

Unhappy My betta fish bended in half befoe death!!

:BIGweepy ::BIGweepy :

I have no idea what happened to my male Betta.
First it stopped eating.
Then it started lying only at the bottom of the tank, not moving and sometimes sliding onto his side, but quickly shaking himself up again.
Finally, my Betta bended in half!! A " C " shape!!

I thought he was paralyzed but couldn't find ANY information anywhere. The same thing happened with my female guppy last year.

I 'm so sad and never going to get bettas anymore. i still have 2 female bettas for 2.5 years and i hope the same thing won't happen to them either.

ANYONE, PLEASE HELP ME!!!!
kal123456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 10:08 PM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

I'm so sorry about your betta! It must have had some kind of disease.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 11:02 PM   #3 
kal123456

Unhappy

Yeah, but the thing is, what kind of disease!!?????
Old 09-03-2009, 12:50 PM   #4 
sumsum

did it have a bubble nest?
sumsum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 03:59 PM   #5 
JamieTron

I am not sure about your betta's condition, but as for the bending motion before dying that occurs naturally when an organism dies. It's body will contort before entering rigor, it's quite common to see the animal curl up while dying and then even straighten out after death. I would say that if they are dying this way (this is just me guessing, that they were probably dying from old age rather then a disease because your symptoms are common in older fish as well; however, this is just based on what I've witnessed it my past elder bettas)

Are there any other odd symptoms you noticed? Like unusal spots, swelling, fungal infections, how about your water parameters do you test those? etc

I am sorry to hear about your fish, it is always hard losing a fish buddy especially one so beautiful as a betta.
JamieTron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 04:46 PM   #6 
ShadowBlackmare

I'm sorry your betta died. but I dont think it should stop you from buying bettas.
ShadowBlackmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 06:29 PM   #7 
sumsum

he probably was just old. you still should buy bettas though. if the fish are dieing of old age then you are being a very good fish parent!
sumsum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 07:23 PM   #8 
BBgirl

Fish of all kinds can get 'the bends' I have (in my younger years) had a fish or 2 with it. I don't know why they get it but they can.

I'm so sorry to hear about your fish. I agree with the others don't let this make you stop getting Betta's. Chances are that you won't ever see it happen to another fish.
BBgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 10:47 PM   #9 
JamieTron

oh...you should look up lordosis and scoliosis which are spinal conditions, there are a number of causes (I didn't even think of these when I posted before). I learned about them last year in university. I took a finfish health course based on aquaculture fish, but hobby fish can have this condition as well. This can be caused by a vitamin definciency..the problem is many deficiencies can cause this. You should check out some pictures of these disorders and see if are similar to what your betta exhibited.

just an extra precautionary post just in case it could be one of these disorders....

I really think it was old age, which is a good thing :) which means you are an awesome betta keeper ;)
JamieTron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 11:46 AM   #10 
kal123456

Yup...

He was more than 2 years, but i didn't think he would die like this all of a sudden.. :(
Strangely, the same thing happened to my 1 year old female guppy. Is one year old for her? :( :(

P.S. sumsum, he didn't have a bubble nest...