Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-03-2009, 11:49 AM   #1 
AlexXx

First tank....

Alright so, as many of you already know, im pretty new to this whole fish deal. I have 2 bettas now, male and a female. I keep them both in about 1 gallon vase's. (separate of course) Their water gets kinda cloudy after a day, and i hate seeing that so i end up changing it every day or 2 to i can see them clearly and so i can keep their environment clean and keep them healthy! :) Any way. I have read alot and noticed that many people say a filtered tank is less maintenance. Ive read lots about cycling but still dont really know how to do... it just does it itself? Any way. I really would like to get a bigger home for both of my lil fishys and want to know how to go about setting up a habitat for each of them. Ive heard 2.5 gallons is a good size. I need a heater, and a filter, Gravel and decor of course! What is the best kinda of filter, ive read that there are some issues with some cuz they pump to much or somthing and its dangerous for their delicate tails. What is maintance like with a filter? How do i get the poop out, since i dont have to do 100% water changes as often? Im really sorry to ask all these questions! I just dont want to take a change at asking some1 in a pet store and doing it all wrong and having a dead fish :( I have grown much to attached to the lil fellows :) Please and Thank you!
AlexXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 04:10 PM   #2 
fishyinpa

2.5 gallons is a great size for bettas. Its hard to cycle a tank that small though,so you would still have to do wcs couple times a week and a full change every other. You can get an air stone for them,but make sure you get the check valve so you control the flow. None of my bettas have a problem with the bubbles at all. Yep get a heater and a thermometer. You should be good to go.
fishyinpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 04:44 PM   #3 
Ilovemyshiny

your one gallon bowls maybe getting cloudy cause your over feeding them...maybe.
Ilovemyshiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 11:12 PM   #4 
AlexXx

what is the suggested feeding, the lady at the store said 3 pellets per day, thats what ive been doing. some times an extra pellet here and there when they are lookin cute :P
Old 09-03-2009, 11:37 PM   #5 
dramaqueen
Banned

I feed mine 2 pellets in the morning and 2 in the evening.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 02:22 AM   #6 
ifish

I feed flackes
ifish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 08:45 AM   #7 
AlexXx

thats funny if its the food, cuz it says "water cleaner" or w/e on it... haha.
Old 09-04-2009, 07:13 PM   #8 
Kim

They just say that to sell it. Supposedly it's better quality so more is absorbed by the fish and less ends up as waste therefore your water stays cleaner.

What you really need is an ammonia test kit to make sure that the ammonia isn't rising.
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 07:17 PM   #9 
Vikki81207

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexXx View Post
what is the suggested feeding, the lady at the store said 3 pellets per day, thats what ive been doing. some times an extra pellet here and there when they are lookin cute :P
I feed 2 every 12 hours. About 10:30 am & pm. Then I feed blood worms every Tuesday and Saturday morning, Sunday I fast then Monday morning I feed shrimp.
Vikki81207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 12:21 PM   #10 
AlexXx

Alright i decided on a 10 gallon kit thing its 50 bux at pet supermarket, comes with the filter some food hood, lights, other ****, looks pretty good. I found a amazing double tail, i really hope its still there 2marrow, i think im going to devide it up for desmond and this double tail if hes still there 2day. How often would i have to change water and stuff since i will have a filter?