Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-14-2013, 03:15 PM   #11 
Hallyx
Reference Team

If you have an Ace Hardware store in your area, they have Janitorial Strength ammonia for just a few bucks. It's just what you want for cycling your tank/bucket. It's nice because you can control the dosage and the results of a few drops dose can be seen within 15 minutes. Easy to see what you're doing....and it's odor free.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 03:20 PM   #12 
jaysee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallyx View Post
While I agree in principle with what Jaysee says, Betta, in their little cups, have not been subjected to the kinds of bacteria /virus /toxins that other, mostly schooling fish, get immune to in their large, community, petstore tanks.

Just a little innocuous cowpox virus, that Europeans had immunity to, decimated the larger part of the indigenous North American population who had no immunity.

There's no denying the benefits of a cycled tank for general health and stress relief. For a Betta a little extra caution can pay dividends in the long run.
That is true, they are generally not in the main water supply are they. But still, unless you are putting a fish in a brand new tank (with no seeded media), the same things that are in water (and assumed to be in the media) at the store are what's in your tank water. I haven't kept dozens of bettas like some people have, but I've kept several and I have always added them to tanks with transferred media - essentially immersing them in the theoretical pathogens.

Some people take this concern to the extreme - when they are ready to move new fish into the tank, they actually do the opposite - they move fish from the show tank into the quarantine tank to observe to see if there is any effect. From there, all the fish in quarantine go to the main tank. I know in my own experience, I would have benefited from doing that once. I used to have 6 chanchito cichlids. I added a school of new fish to the tank after a month in quarantine - don't remember if they were danios, tetras or barbs. Anyway, 4 of the chanchitos died that week, inexplicably. The new fish must have had something to which the cichlids had no immunity.

Now I've added fish to tanks more times than I could even begin to count, and only once have I had such a problem. It's certainly possible, but I think it's a freak occurrence. I don't concern myself with remote possibilities, but that's just my personality
jaysee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 04:07 PM   #13 
WhitneyLin

I have an Ace Hardware about a half hour away. So not bad compared to the pet stores i've been going to that are closer to an hour away. Though I could try a couple of other stores in my area first. We have a Lowes, Menards, Fleet Farm...I heard somewhere to try a pharmacy but I dont know if theres any truth to that.

Im glad my filter came with an optional suction cup so I dont have to fill the whole bucket up.

Finally seeing some light at the end of the tunnel, though I probably wont be able to get the ammonia till wednesday. At least I can move Ty into the 5g much sooner.
WhitneyLin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 04:09 PM   #14 
WhitneyLin

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysee View Post
Now I've added fish to tanks more times than I could even begin to count, and only once have I had such a problem. It's certainly possible, but I think it's a freak occurrence. I don't concern myself with remote possibilities, but that's just my personality
ha ha. thats me. Im the overly cautious paranoid one. Perhaps i'll calm down once I get used to keeping bettas.
Old 10-14-2013, 04:29 PM   #15 
jaysee

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhitneyLin View Post
ha ha. thats me. Im the overly cautious paranoid one. Perhaps i'll calm down once I get used to keeping bettas.
It's not bad to be cautious, as long as it doesn't interfere with your growth and understanding of the hobby It's much better to dial it back over time rather than have to step things up.
jaysee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 08:18 PM   #16 
WhitneyLin

So im happy to say that the weather helped me quite a bit! Our temps are going to drop below freezing so even if I kept the bucket in our garage, if would be far too cold.

So after lots of begging pleading and negotiations and favors, I am allowed to cycle the tank itself inside. I was able to pick up a gallon size ammonia at my local Mills Fleet Farm. I shook that bottle till my hands hurt and didnt see foam. I also picked up a dog feeding syringe. So I should be able to start my cycle tomorrow.

Should I take out my moss ball before putting the ammonia in? And about how much ammonia should I add the first time?
Old 10-17-2013, 01:12 AM   #17 
WhitneyLin

Plus...should I take out the filter cartridge and replace it with aquarium sponge or something like it?
Old 10-17-2013, 08:43 AM   #18 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Just to be clear...you're cycling a small spare tank or bucket. You're not to put ammonia in your display tank with fish.

As long as your cartridge is working, use that. Later --- much late, like next year when it falls apart --- replace it with filter foam.

Please read the cycling stickies. You still don't have it clear in your mind.
Old 10-17-2013, 12:53 PM   #19 
WhitneyLin

Ty is in the 2.5gallon currently, as I finally got his other plants late yesterday and I wanted to put everything in the new tank at once and then put him in.

So im going to cycle the 5g and keep him in the 2.5g until its done. I dont think the filter will fit in the 2.5g. Its quite long.

Okay, filter foam. I'll remember that for next year. I just thought it would really mess up your cycle to have to replace the cartridge.

Okay I missed the calculator part in the one sticky.

And I read the stickys a while ago. I was planning on removing my moss ball because I know dosing high ammonia may kill it. But then I had someone, not on this forum, tell me that "moss balls are hardy and taking it out and putting it in later will mess things up". So I wanted to make sure I got the right answer from someone on here.
Old 10-17-2013, 01:15 PM   #20 
Hallyx
Reference Team

I'm sorry, Whitney, I'm a little confused. Why would you want to set-up a 5g, complete with plants and filter and then keep him in the 2.5g? In order to quickly fishless cycle, it's better NOT to have plants in there.

You seem to be working at cross-purposes here. And I'm sorry if my confusion shows. I thought the idea was to get him nice and comfy in the 5g with plants, and then cycle the filter in the 2.5g. If your heater won't fit, get a bucket.

Usually dosing ammonia at 2-drops/gal will produce 1.0ppm ammonia. For a 2.5 g, you'd want 10 drops to get ammonia up to ~2.0ppm. Just right for a light fishless cycle. But to be sure, dose 1-drop/gal. Then test in an hour or two and see what your ppm is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhitneyLin View Post
Ty is in the 2.5gallon currently, as I finally got his other plants late yesterday and I wanted to put everything in the new tank at once and then put him in.

So im going to cycle the 5g and keep him in the 2.5g until its done. I dont think the filter will fit in the 2.5g. Its quite long.

Okay, filter foam. I'll remember that for next year. I just thought it would really mess up your cycle to have to replace the cartridge.

Okay I missed the calculator part in the one sticky.

And I read the stickys a while ago. I was planning on removing my moss ball because I know dosing high ammonia may kill it. But then I had someone, not on this forum, tell me that "moss balls are hardy and taking it out and putting it in later will mess things up". So I wanted to make sure I got the right answer from someone on here.

Last edited by Hallyx; 10-17-2013 at 01:17 PM.