Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-03-2009, 06:17 PM   #1 
fishfishjenp

Unhappy Please i reallly need HELP

My 4 year old really wanted a fish so i decided to buy him a betta fish, he named him fishfish. Of course i take care of him. We've had him for about a month. at first i tried feeding him the pellets but he wouldn't eat them at all. so now i have been feeding him freeze dried bloodworms. he loves them. he used to flare his fins whenever we put a mirror in front of the tank, but now he NEVER flares. we have him in a betta fish tank that we bought from PETCO. (smaller than 2 gallons). he stays at the bottom of the tank all the time. he only comes to the surface to eat. he ignores the mirror now. i do have 2 small plants in th tank. what should i do? Please i really need advice. this is my son's first pet and he is really attached. he gives the tank a kiss every night before bed. his fish CANNOT die!!!
fishfishjenp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 06:35 PM   #2 
Jynx

How often do you change the water? Sometimes if you feed nothing but bloodworms the fish can get digestive problems- you could switch to a shrimp based food.
Jynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 06:40 PM   #3 
fishfishjenp

thnx so much im gonna try the shrimp. i change the water every other day.
Old 09-03-2009, 06:44 PM   #4 
Jynx

you can get frozen shrimp or freeze dried shrimp. Its also not a bad idea to have a day once a week when you don't feed him. It sounds mean but it helps clear their digestive systems.

Are you sure the tank is the right temperature? Does it have a heater or is your home warm enough?

Last edited by Jynx; 09-03-2009 at 06:49 PM.
Old 09-03-2009, 06:48 PM   #5 
AngelicScars

I would try to upgrade the tank to at least 2-2.5 gallons. This 1.) gives the fish more room and 2.) allows you to safely use a heater in the colder months. This leads me to the next question, how warm is the water? It needs to be a steady 78-80 degrees F.

Also, they love hiding places/caves.
AngelicScars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 06:51 PM   #6 
Jynx

There's no tearing of the fins or discoloration is there? None was mentioned.
But yeah he could just feel cramped. I use the 3 gallon eclipse for my female- it's a really good size for a betta and is really easy to manage.
Old 09-03-2009, 07:02 PM   #7 
AngelicScars

Shrimp I think is more of a treat as well as the bloodworms. I would try the pellets again.
The hikari betta bio-gold pellets are the only thing my picky eaters would eat. If they don't eat it at first, that is okay. They can go a long time without food. I think he'll start to like it after awhile.
AngelicScars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 07:04 PM   #8 
ChloesMom

mine will only eat freezed dried bloodworms or the flakes. she will not touch the pellets, and she only gets the bloodworms once a week
ChloesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 08:08 PM   #9 
BBgirl

I think they get so used to the mirror after you play that game with them that they learn to ignore it. I stopped doing it for a few weeks and tried it again and they flare again.

As everyone else suggested make sure to vary his diet. Try the pellets again. hikari betta bio-gold pellets are the only ones mine will eat too. so work them in.
I suspect he will be ok since you haven't described anything that sounds like an illness. If he is eating he probably isnt sick.

I get those little stick on thermomters to keep an idea of the temps in my tanks and no matter how small the bowl it should be watched
I upgraded from the 1 gallons for my daughter and then found myself with now 3 betta's (details in signature). I definately thought the one gallons looked too small for our fish but since it is your 4 year olds fish I do understand why you started with a 1 gallon or something like it.

Sorry I rambled but I hope it helps.
BBgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 08:09 PM   #10 
fishfishjenp

thnx everyone. i didnt know much about the betta fishes. when i got the fish no one at the pet store told me how to really care for them so i had no idea. we're gonna go buy a new tank, found a good one 3 gallond with filtration and everything for like $40. thnx again. if u guys have anymore advice i would love it!