Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-13-2013, 08:42 PM   #1 
MakoBetta10

Red face Tiny Petco Baby

So earlier today, my mother went to petco to get dog treats and, being the awesome person she is ,came home with a baby betta.

She knows I love the little guys and cant walk out of the store without one. But she didnt just pick it up out of niceness this time, she picked it up because of its size and condition. Of the baby bettas Ive seen they are normally about 0.5 of an inch long, this baby is 1/8 of an inch.

The poor little thing was severely malnourished and was in gross and freezing water. Because of his delicate state I kept him in his cup and did a 90% drip water change. He is floating in my unoccupied half gallon. The water is a toasty 82 degrees. Im hatching brine shrimp as I type, but he happily ate a mix of high quality powdered flakes (WOOHOO!). But my concern is that he swims in a "S" shape. He has improved so much, but that is his only remaining ailment.

Is there anything else I can do to help the little guy?

Last edited by MakoBetta10; 10-13-2013 at 08:52 PM.
MakoBetta10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 08:46 PM   #2 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Just good water, frequent changes and good food will help him. He's most likely just recovering from the bad condition he was in. It could also be due to some sort of intestinal thing, one of my baby boy's went through a stage like that where at first he'd float most of the time in the S position and only when he ate he would be able to swim down easily. And then after a week or so it reversed to him being able to swim fine and then when he ate, he'd float and take the S shape back on. And a few weeks later he was fine, no S shape and no floating for long periods of time.

So I think he'll be just fine since you have a great handle on what the babies need ^_^
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 08:51 PM   #3 
hollyk

Aww, poor little guy! Sounds like he found a wonderful home with people who will take great care of him!

Is he just swimming in an S shape, or is he kind of floating or laying on his side at all? I've seen my rescue betta with severe swim bladder issues doing the S shape swimmies, but he also swims erratically and floats on his side sometimes. If not, I'm not sure. I also got a tiny Petco baby betta a few days ago who seemed to swim a little curled up, which he still does occasionally, but overall he seems much better and happier in a bigger tank with a heater and everything. I was wondering if his curliness was just stress related, or if that's common behavior for baby bettas?

I hope someone else has better insight. In the meantime, I don't know that there's anything else you can do. It sounds like you're doing a great job with him.
hollyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 08:52 PM   #4 
hollyk

Oops, lilnaugrim posted while I was still typing mine! Yep, listen to them! Sounds like good advice! lol
Old 10-13-2013, 08:53 PM   #5 
MakoBetta10

Oh good, nothing too serious! Thanks you guys lots
Old 10-13-2013, 08:55 PM   #6 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Yup ^_^ still keep and eye on him of course but I find it's more of a stage they go through. Yes it can end up with swim bladder disease or some sort of buoyancy/intestinal issue but for the most part at this age, it's just something they grow out of
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 08:57 PM   #7 
MakoBetta10

I just went and checked on him and he stopped swimming all stupid-like!!! His faint baby colors are coming in as well. He is a lovely baby blue!

Thanks for all your advice!
Old 10-13-2013, 09:00 PM   #8 
hollyk

Yay! Mine did the exact same thing, and started to get a little color, too, after I'd had him a few hours. These babies are just too tiny and fragile to be jostled around in pet stores and such. He's very lucky he found such a great home with a knowledgeable owner!
Old 10-13-2013, 09:14 PM   #9 
MakoBetta10

Thanks! I'm happy you have gotten great results as well!
Old 10-14-2013, 12:18 AM   #10 
MakoBetta10

So something worrisome if happening. The baby is resting on his side. But when I turn on the light, he rights himself.

Whats up with him?