Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-12-2013, 11:07 PM   #1 
jadaBlu

What do you think of this Thai breeders advice for "acclinmation"

Ensure Your Tank
To help reduce the chance of this illness occuring,Must need to do in first day,3 day time.
Add a 1/4 teaspoon of normal aquarium salt per ten litre of tank water,this helps ward off velvet and helps toughens their scales.
Add a piece of Indian Almond leaf to tank.,They contain anti-fungus properties.
Add 1/4 Tetra cycline capsule (Anti-biotic from drug store,human meds), They contain internal illness.

This is sirinutbetta
I like some of his fish but his advice to give Tetracycline kind of makes me leery.
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 11:31 PM   #2 
bniebetta

................. holy grammar fail.... Anyway, yeah I don't like that either. The only thing I have ever used with my imports was an IAL and that was occasional....
bniebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 11:36 PM   #3 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

I would just acclimate like you would any new fish. That dosage of aquarium salt is low and probably harmless, but I don't know if I would use it. I don't get the tetracycline recommendation though.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 02:27 AM   #4 
whatsupyall

Indeed, do what the man says, but only for his fish of course. If anything goes wrong, then you have someone to blame lol.
whatsupyall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 08:22 AM   #5 
Riverotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bniebetta View Post
................. holy grammar fail.....
I'm sure he speaks much better English then you do Thai. It is insanely hard to go from an Oriental language to a Latin-based one, or vice-versa.

Tetracycline is not that big a deal and I can see why he recommends it. By the time it gets to you, the fish is highly stressed, so giving it a preventative course of antibiotics while it settles is not an outrageous idea.
LOL, I'm sure the fellow knows what he's talking about, he raises more fish in a week then I probably will in my entire life If I spent $$$ importing fish from him, I think I'd spring a dollar for the capsule and do as he says.
Riverotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 10:52 AM   #6 
bniebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverotter View Post
I'm sure he speaks much better English then you do Thai. It is insanely hard to go from an Oriental language to a Latin-based one, or vice-versa.

Tetracycline is not that big a deal and I can see why he recommends it. By the time it gets to you, the fish is highly stressed, so giving it a preventative course of antibiotics while it settles is not an outrageous idea.
LOL, I'm sure the fellow knows what he's talking about, he raises more fish in a week then I probably will in my entire life If I spent $$$ importing fish from him, I think I'd spring a dollar for the capsule and do as he says.

I'm sure he does, but as an English major, it's a little bit hilarious haha. And I have to politely disagree with you :) Tetracycline is not really a preventative thing, it's better for treatment of an existing issue. Aquarium salt is a better preventative method. Tetracycline can be difficult to dose and puts your fish at risk if you don't know what you are doing. I have imported 5 fish and all did extremely well with none of those things. i have never had a breeder recommend such an extensive course of action. They really are very capable of recovering from the stress on their own, and they continue to be very healthy and happy. It is my personal opinion that such strong medications are not necessary just for acclimation. As far as the breeder knowing what they are talking about, I agree and disagree. Yes, I am sure that he would never give out information that he knew could harm someone's fish, especially since the health of it is in his best interests, but no breeder is spot free. There are practices that happen overseas that most of us do not know about and would probably disagree with, such as the use of steroids, fin clipping, and massive culls. I just personally think that Breeder's are not God, and you are doing well be researching something that sounds fishy to you.
bniebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 04:49 PM   #7 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Using antibiotics as a preventative is never a good idea and messes up all sorts of things, it is the reason antibiotic resistant diseases appeared.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 05:12 PM   #8 
LittleBettaFish

I always thought most bacteria were resistant to tetracycline now because it is one of the most commonly used antibiotics for fish.

I think it's also tetracycline that can cause possible damage to internal organs as well so I would't use it just as a preventative.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 06:39 PM   #9 
Riverotter

I suppose I'm coming at it from the view of a breeder (of other animals) and trainer. I pour time, energy, money,sweat, tears, and yes, sometimes blood, into raising/training/rescuing an animal, send it off to what I hope will be a good home, and every once in a while have someone apparently just toss my carefully written, well-researched and proven instructions out the window. I get a phone call in 1-6 months telling me how horrible everything has turned out and no, they didn't do any of the things I said, because they asked their Uncle Frank, or the guy at the pet/feed store, or a message board, who told them that was silly, and how about their refund???

And then politely as I can, I put down the phone and go cry and rant and rave and curse about how easy is it to follow simple instructions that have worked for the many, many other animals that I have sold/rescued/trained/given away, and I grieve for the poor creature.

From that perspective, when a breeder gives me instructions - particularly an experienced, reputable breeder - I assume that they know what they're doing, know their line and how that line reacts to different circumstances, know how they were raised and every tiny detail of their management right up until the time that they passed care of this creature to me, and I follow them.
Which has always, always worked out beautifully for me.
Riverotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 06:41 PM   #10 
Luminescent

As an 'English major' perhaps it would behoove you to take a few hours of Etiquette101 to become versed in effective and compassionate communication with an international body of individuals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bniebetta View Post
I'm sure he does, but as an English major, it's a little bit hilarious haha. And I have to politely disagree with you :) Tetracycline is not really a preventative thing, it's better for treatment of an existing issue. Aquarium salt is a better preventative method. Tetracycline can be difficult to dose and puts your fish at risk if you don't know what you are doing. I have imported 5 fish and all did extremely well with none of those things. i have never had a breeder recommend such an extensive course of action. They really are very capable of recovering from the stress on their own, and they continue to be very healthy and happy. It is my personal opinion that such strong medications are not necessary just for acclimation. As far as the breeder knowing what they are talking about, I agree and disagree. Yes, I am sure that he would never give out information that he knew could harm someone's fish, especially since the health of it is in his best interests, but no breeder is spot free. There are practices that happen overseas that most of us do not know about and would probably disagree with, such as the use of steroids, fin clipping, and massive culls. I just personally think that Breeder's are not God, and you are doing well be researching something that sounds fishy to you.
Luminescent is offline   Reply With Quote