Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-08-2013, 08:50 PM   #1 
Megzilla

Exclamation Fin Rot or Tail Biting?

Before

After

Please Help Me Out Here!
Ive posted pictures of Seymour above. I have had him for about a month now, I bought him from PetSmart. Originally I had him in a 5 gallon tank equipped with a filter, heater (so the tank is always at 74 degrees F), and some decorations. When I first noticed the frayed fins, I thought it was just some of the decorations, so I pulled out the ones that were iffy. My boyfriend thought it may be fin rot, since he showed the picture to an employee at PetSmart, and he bought BettaFix. Its been a week now, and there have been no sign of it getting better. Today, I changed him into a 3 gallon tank thinking maybe being alone in a 5 gallon tank was stressing him out. Also, I just ordered a smooth rock that is hollow so he can swim in there and hide and I bought some fake floating duckweed. Just previously I caught him swimming in circles sort of aggressively, and I feel like he was trying to get his fins. :(

If I am doing anything wrong please let me know! If there is anything I should start doing please tell me! Everytime I look at him, I feel sad.

Last edited by Megzilla; 10-08-2013 at 08:53 PM.
Megzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 09:10 PM   #2 
NeptunesMom

Can you post them again? I can't see them.

I'm in the camp that says "stay away from anything with 'fix' in the title". There are people who believe it can kill fish. I believe in being better safe than sorry.

Also, as a Psmart employee myself I will warn you that every coworker I have knows nothing about Betta fish.
NeptunesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 10:25 PM   #3 
Megzilla

I dont know why the pictures arent working for you, but I can see them just fine. Anyways... Ill describe them

Before: Seymour is a half moon betta, they were full of teal, purple, and blue colors. No holes, no raggedness, they spread out like a fan. They were beautiful!

Now: his top fin is much shorter. His fins near the back are to the point where it is kind of like a ducks foot but the webbing in between is much shorter. Before I started the treatment, there was a hole in the top fin, and now the hole is gone because that section has been ripped off.
Old 10-09-2013, 11:15 AM   #4 
NeptunesMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megzilla View Post
I dont know why the pictures arent working for you, but I can see them just fine. Anyways... Ill describe them

Before: Seymour is a half moon betta, they were full of teal, purple, and blue colors. No holes, no raggedness, they spread out like a fan. They were beautiful!

Now: his top fin is much shorter. His fins near the back are to the point where it is kind of like a ducks foot but the webbing in between is much shorter. Before I started the treatment, there was a hole in the top fin, and now the hole is gone because that section has been ripped off.
That sounds like biting. There are many different reasons fish bite: tank too big, tank too small, too much traffic past tank, not enough traffic past tank, bored, angry, tail too heavy, etc...

I have used Indian Almond Leaf and Stress Coat successfully with my biters. I also have had to play around with tank sizes, decorations, etc.. I would start by seeing if moving him to a new location (and maybe the IAL and SC) helps. If that doesn't try seeing if moving the decorations around helps. If not then maybe try a bigger/smaller tank.
NeptunesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 01:37 PM   #5 
Megzilla

Thanks. I have moved him to a new spot and tried a smaller tank. Im happy to finally narrow down what the cause is. Now its time for trial and error. Hopefully Seymour will be a happy boy in no time!
Old 10-10-2013, 01:25 PM   #6 
Jovancheck

Hi! I am interested in how is your fish doing now? I noticed some holes on mine's fish tail, so i don't know what's the problem?
Jovancheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 03:09 PM   #7 
Megzilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovancheck View Post
Hi! I am interested in how is your fish doing now? I noticed some holes on mine's fish tail, so i don't know what's the problem?
Seymour's fins havent gotten worse. Ive been using BettaFix and I think that his fins may be starting to regrow. After reading through multiple threads on here about how tanks are suppose to be decorated and such Ive come to terms that his tank needs many more decorations that will give him places to hide and explore. I have a hollow rock coming in, and some floating plants that should arrive today!
He seems to be agitated and "on guard" lately because I get the feeling the tank is too reflective to he gets the impression there is another fish in there so anything to a finger on the side of the tank to a water bottle cap floating on top causes him to flare. Im getting a backdrop to hopefully get rid of that problem.
I also moved his tank up higher so he can see the room more, and I have been dedicating time to him. Last night he spent a good 15 minutes chasing the end of a plastic spoon around in his tank. I also put a new object near his tank before I leave, and he just stares at it for forever. He is definitely a curious fish, so between the reflection and not enough hiding places I think that is why he bites his tail.

Has your fish been eating fine, and acting okay? Watch your fish and see if you notice any actions that could be him possibly biting his tail or that get him agitated. I caught mine swimming in circles aggressively and after he flares at his reflection he "paces" back in forth. I hope you find out whats going on soon, its always upsetting to see their fins and not know what is going on or why they are doing it.
Old 10-16-2013, 09:58 PM   #8 
Megzilla

UPDATE
Seymour's fins are growing back! He now has plenty of hiding spaces and a smaller tank. He likes it much better in there.