Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-14-2013, 09:02 AM   #11 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

He may have an issue with his swim bladder but as I said before, it will most likely correct itself when he get's older. Does he have anything he can rest on at the top like a plant or floating leaf or something?

How is he this morning?
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 10:30 AM   #12 
MakoBetta10

A bit better. But there is no decoration to help him. I will get one when I come home from school.
MakoBetta10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 05:59 PM   #13 
MakoBetta10

Im afraid Little Boo has taken a turn for the worse. I came home to find him upside down. I thought he was dead, but I gently tapped the tank and he swam in a spiraling movement.
The only thing different is the water hyacinth leaf I put in to help him rest.
Old 10-15-2013, 06:38 PM   #14 
bettafishfins

Is he better now?
bettafishfins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 07:08 PM   #15 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

You can try using some Epsom salt on him. You won't find it in fish stores but in a pharamcy. Start with .25 teaspoons per gallon and make sure you dissolve it first because salt produces heat when it dissolves. Then slowly add it to his tank over the half hour or more to acclimate him to it.

Is he eating at all, what's the temp on his tank, what size and how often are you doing water changes? Does he have a light, how long is it on and how long is it off for the night if he does.
Old 10-15-2013, 07:28 PM   #16 
MakoBetta10

Dont have any epsom :/ He is still in his baby betta cup and is sitting at 82 degrees. I do a 90% change every 12 hrs. Last night his light got left on, would that affect him this harshly?
Old 10-15-2013, 07:33 PM   #17 
hollyk

I bought one of the little tiny bettas a few days ago, too. He was about 3/4" long when I got him, although I think he's grown a little. I personally, at the advice of someone else on this forum, moved him into a bigger tank, mainly to keep his temperature stable. He seems really happy so far in his 2.5 gallon home. That's just my experience, though. One thing I will say is that he likes his silk plant, so if you don't have a plant or something for him to hide in in his cup, that might cheer him up a little. I don't know what's bothering the poor little guy- those dang Petco bettas are too small to be sold, but it's hard to resist buying them to try to save them! Seems like so many of them come with problems, and/or live short lives. Good luck with your little dude- I hope he's feeling better soon!
hollyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 07:43 PM   #18 
MakoBetta10

Agreed! But this baby is so tiny that I can barely see him in the cup! His cup is floating in a heated 1/2 gallon.
Old 10-15-2013, 07:53 PM   #19 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

The light could have messed with his time schedule is all, sometimes it stresses them out which can make a swim bladder issue worse. I'm not sure if that's hard fact or not but it's what I've observed. Tonight drape a towel over his tank and keep the light out to make it pitch black, that has a calming effect on fish and it will also keep the heat in which might help him a little as well.

Has he eaten anything?
Old 10-15-2013, 08:20 PM   #20 
hollyk

Poor baby! I hope it was just the light that threw him off, and he's feeling back to himself after a good night's rest!
hollyk is offline   Reply With Quote