Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-03-2009, 09:21 PM   #1 
InsideTheBurg

Question All white male VT?

Hey guys, I have a question. I was just at Walmart and of course I had to look at the betta stock. There were several pale colored males. But one was pure white even his fins. They didn't look torn or anything.... but I had never seen one this color before. He was really adorable, but does the white color mean he is sick? Or is this just a less common color?
InsideTheBurg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 09:23 PM   #2 
ShadowBlackmare

it could have an Albino betta..
ShadowBlackmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 09:30 PM   #3 
InsideTheBurg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowBlackmare View Post
it could have an Albino betta..
I know some albino animals can be sick. My cat is an albino and he is deaf. Do you think, if this betta was albino, that he would have problems? I really want to rescue him. I felt sorry for him in his little walmart bowl But I'm not really in a financial situation where i could care for something very serious. I'm currently treating Doc for fin rot.
Old 09-03-2009, 09:38 PM   #4 
ShadowBlackmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideTheBurg View Post
I know some albino animals can be sick. My cat is an albino and he is deaf. Do you think, if this betta was albino, that he would have problems? I really want to rescue him. I felt sorry for him in his little walmart bowl But I'm not really in a financial situation where i could care for something very serious. I'm currently treating Doc for fin rot.
aww im sorry to hear about Doc, Good luck, I hope he get better soon. And Im not sure, I never had one, i think someone on this forum has an albino Betta i remember who though. was his scales flat? was his fins whole? or broken in any way? eyes glazed or clear?
Old 09-03-2009, 09:44 PM   #5 
InsideTheBurg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowBlackmare View Post
aww im sorry to hear about Doc, Good luck, I hope he get better soon. And Im not sure, I never had one, i think someone on this forum has an albino Betta i remember who though. was his scales flat? was his fins whole? or broken in any way? eyes glazed or clear?
NO, in fact he looked very healthy. His finas were long and smooth completely intact. His eyes were not glazed but they did seem a little light colored, but dark compared to his body. He was very energetic and alert. I thought he was gorgeous. I just have never seen an all white betta. Now that I know there is such a thing as albino fish, I might just have to go back and get him.
Old 09-03-2009, 09:56 PM   #6 
ShadowBlackmare

its your choice I dunno if it is a albino but I heard there are albino Bettas. I found this website saying they found an albino betta http://www.bettafishonline.com/betta...ghtingfish.php . So it could NOT be a albino betta but just a white betta. but as a site says it will have problems.
Old 09-03-2009, 09:59 PM   #7 
ShadowBlackmare

it could also just be a white betta or a

Opaques The Opaque allele gives the fish a milky white overlay that dilutes the underlaying colours to pastel shades, including the eye colour in most cases. There is an opaque form of each of the main colour types if the Op allele is present. White Opaques appear dense white to opaque steel blue.
Pastels can be almost any pastel colour.
Old 09-03-2009, 09:59 PM   #8 
dramaqueen
Banned

I would go ahead and get it.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 10:06 PM   #9 
MrVampire181

Albinos are way to rare: 10 in the past 40 years. It was most likely an opaque, don't be worried if his eyes looked glazed, that's normal in opaques. Also, albino bettas are blind.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 10:11 PM   #10 
InsideTheBurg

They don't look glazed. I think he looks good. I think I'll go ahead and get him tomorrow if he is still there and I'll post pics. I just can't stop thinking about him. I have a problem. lol Thanks again for all your help guys!