Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-04-2013, 01:02 AM   #1 
Niece

Red tail shark.

Atleast I think that's what they are called.
I've seen these guys at petco and them seemed to be pretty aggressive.
But can I just keep one by itself? If I did what size tank would be needed, and do they require anything special?
Niece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 06:54 AM   #2 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Ideally you only want one but they grow to just about four-five inches I believe and yes they are semi-aggressive. Here's all you need to know! http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species...nchos-bicolor/
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 06:57 AM   #3 
rickey
Banned

They are aggressive chasers, but will rarely harm other fish.
Red tail sharks reach an average length of 6 inches.
They are aggressive to their own kind so need to be kept as singles
I haven't kept any in the last 40 years but when I was a young teen ager it was one of my favorite fish.

R
rickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 07:17 AM   #4 
Taboo

Any idea how they'd go with a few female fighters? I have inherited one, in with a couple of mollys and angelfish. If I moved the mollies and angels, would he tolerate a few girls?
Taboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 07:28 AM   #5 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

The shark should be fine but I'd worry about the girl's being too stressed out by being chased. If there were any tankmates with it, I'd suggest something top dwelling like Pencil fish or Rainbow's or Hatchet's. I don't know about cories or anything, I'd assume they'd be fine with just a little chasing here and there but Cory's are generally quite hardy when it comes to not being stressed out at least IME
Old 11-04-2013, 07:33 AM   #6 
Taboo

I'd be so paranoid about cories! Sharky (we call him Sharkbait ) is a bottom-dweller too, and I have always thought bettas were tougher than cories...interesting But that gives me something to ponder, anyway...Thanks!
Old 11-04-2013, 07:37 AM   #7 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Well it depends on the cory type and then of course the Betta. If it's just one Betta girl or boy then yes, I'd say you can most likely pull that off. But if you want a Betta sorority then I would be much more tentative, the girls would already be in stressed out mode since they aren't meant to be with each other naturally, they tolerate each other and that's it. So that's already lots of stress right there, plus a Shark chasing them on top of it....that makes me nervous lol.

For cory's, I would go with some of the bigger ones, I don't think Corydoras Habrosus or Hastasus would be a good choice, but sterbai might be good, Emeralds and Panda's/Skunk's, those type would probably fare better than the smaller ones.
Old 11-04-2013, 07:55 AM   #8 
Taboo

hmmm, very interesting. I've found (especially with a select few of my females) that they really enjoy each other's company, to the point they almost school together. Although I agree, it's probably not natural and none of my more "recent types" (CT, HMs) particularly enjoy each other's company. I guess my 'safety in numbers against sharky' plan is inherently flawed when I'm dealing with solitary fish haha

And on top of that, I'm only familiar with owning the various pygmy cory species and that would definitely influence my thinking! As a cory-lover, however, I'm definitely going to look into the compatibility of the two. Cheers And sorry Niece, for hijacking your thread! I'll get back to the RTBS care topic now haha.
Old 11-04-2013, 07:58 AM   #9 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Although, only take my words with a grain of salt, I have not owned a red tailed shark...well not in recent year's at least and I'm only going off of what I have read and watched in video's on the internet. So it could be that the shark won't chase the girls if there are enough of them. That part I'm not sure about, but I would only worry is all. It is something you can try though if you feel confident about it, if it does fail then you would just have to rehome a few fish, although that can be daunting and tedious as it is. So that part is up to you.
Old 11-04-2013, 08:22 AM   #10 
Taboo

haha thanks As much as I've seen how reliable your posts are and your experience is, I always find solid (preferably non-internet, scientific) info to support my ideas! Rehoming won't be an issue, I can just pop them back in my 50g.

Still, it is very nice to have your valuable opinion, because although I own a shark, he was thrust upon me and I know donkey's poo about them haha

Tags
red tail sharks, sharks, tank size