Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-14-2013, 08:00 PM   #1 
alohafish

Advice needed for unhappy betta

Hi,

I have a male veiltail betta. Have had him for about 4 weeks. He has seemed quite happy until recently. He is in a 3 gallon aquafarm tank. This is not a vase with a plant, but a tank with a separate plant tray above the water (a pump circulates the water). According to the place I got it from, it is supposed to help keep the water clean. I have not used a heater; tank has been a steady 72F, which I understood from what I read was on the low end but within the acceptable range. Until the middle of last week, he seemed to be doing great. Last week, I noticed the water becoming greenish and assumed that algae was growing. I did a 50% water change 2 days ago. I was careful to use the same temp water. Now I notice he seems less happy. He is paler in color (was bright blue), and spends much time either resting on the bottom or hanging out in the corner where I feed him. He will occasionally get animated and swim around, especially when someone approaches the tank. I am not certain whether these changes started before or after the water change, but I think they have gotten worse since then. I am concerned about changing anything much as I do not want to stress him out further, but he obviously needs something. Water is clearer but still not perfectly clear since water change. I am hoping to find some advice to help him be healthy and happy again. Thank you!

I am attaching photos to show the setup, what he looked like last week, and today.

Here are the details that I have:

Housing
What size is your tank? 3 gallon
What temperature is your tank? 72F
Does your tank have a filter? no
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? no
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none, just some plastic plants

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? How often do you feed your betta fish? pellets 3-4 in morning, 4-6 in evening; bloodworm once or twice a week in place of pellets [everything I've read says not to overfeed him, but he seems constantly hungry and gobbles up whatever I offer him right away.]

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Just did one; before that I had not (plants are supposed to clean the water)
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? D-Klor (dechlorinator)

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? No, don't have test kit; no pet store available

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? See above
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill? no
How old is your fish (approximately)? had him for 4 weeks, not sure how old he was when I got him (Petco)
Attached Images

alohafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 08:05 PM   #2 
Chachi

I am wondering how much air he is getting with the top on it. Does it allow for airflow?

I've never really believed that the plants "clean" the water and that they still need complete water changes in a tank like that.

I'm sure there are many who will give you lots of good advice here! :)
Chachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 08:13 PM   #3 
soundwave

There is no such thing as a self cleaning tank. You still need to do water changes. You should do two 50% water changes a week in a nonfiltered 3 gallon tank.

72 degrees is a little on the cool side. I'd look into getting a small heater.
soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 08:43 PM   #4 
alohafish

Thanks for the replies!

There is at least an inch of airspace between the water surface and the cover, so airflow is not an issue.

I am not sure why everything was fine for 3 weeks and then suddenly not.

I am fine with doing water changes, but I didn't because I have received conflicting info from the manufacturer and here. I want to be a good fish parent and have a happy, healthy fish, but I am worried because he suddenly seems not happy.

Would it be a good idea to change the water again, or is it too soon and would it be stressful? Other suggestions?
Old 10-14-2013, 08:52 PM   #5 
rileysmum

If you hadn't changed the water for aa month in a 3 gal tank he could have amonia poisoning. What kind of water conditioner do you use?
rileysmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 08:55 PM   #6 
rileysmum

Also, the plants on top, is that sealed? Are there holes? The air problem being asked about i believe is the fact that from the picture, it looks like it makes an air tight seal. Meaning the air under the top would quickly become less oxygenated and suffocate the fish.
rileysmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 09:01 PM   #7 
ANHEL123

The problem is the water changes. For 3 gall tank without filter you need to do2-50 an 1-100% water changes a week. So what i would do as soon as you can start changing his water. Do 2-30% water changes back to back. You already know that temp has to match. Do about 50% in about 30 minutes or so and then do about 75% in about 30 min. See if it will perk him up.
With your last water change did you put anything new in the tank?

Do you know how to acclimate the betta?
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 09:02 PM   #8 
alohafish

The water conditioner is called D-Klor. It came with the tank. (http://www.homegrownponics.com/produ...instant-d-klor)

There is space for air to circulate; it is not a sealed system.

Would another water change be good or stressful?
Old 10-14-2013, 09:05 PM   #9 
alohafish

Nothing new in tank. Will try changing water as recommended.

How about water temp? I do have a small heater, but I am reluctant to change the temp too quickly and add to his stress. Should I change one thing at a time? Water first?
Old 10-14-2013, 09:15 PM   #10 
ANHEL123

Water first, but you need new water match the temp of his water. There is a few ways to acclimate the betta. Especially you need it when you do large water change
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote