Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-24-2009, 05:02 PM   #1 
ChrisPerson

Advice for future Betta home

I recently purchased a 2 gallon Aquaview 360, strangely enough to add to my apartment for Feng Shui purposes. :) I've owned a fish tank before, but it was much larger and several years ago, so i need some help. Obviously, i am considering a Betta to inhabit my new water feature.

When i owned a tank before i cycled it fishless for a week with a bacteria water additive (not anything fancy as BioSpira), then gradually added White Clouds and everything worked out fine.

I'm wondering though if running it for that week even did anything at all, and if the tank didn't cycle until i put the fish in it. If i do this one the same way, will my Betta suffer? I certainly dont want it to experience permanant gill damage.

I've read a lot of very conflicting things about cycling, but i'm wondering how much of that applies to such a small tank. And no, I dont have a test kit. the last one I had was impossible to read. I'm thinking i'll just wait a week and take a water sample to the pet store for testing.

Also, I like live plants, so are there any that are better or worse for Bettas? Should i put them in while the tank is cycling or after? Does it matter?

I realise i'm probably going to need a heater, but will it make a difference that the tank is acrylic? I can just imagine it melting onto the side, lol.

Thanks in advance for your advice!
ChrisPerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 06:11 PM   #2 
ElmoFish

From what I've read and heard, cycling a tank of that size would be very difficult, and you're probably better off doing 100% water changes weekly instead.. although it would probably be possible with live plants. Live plants are great for betta's, if you have the know-how to grow them (I don't, lol).

I really like that tank, it's super cute, I was thinking about getting one for my living room, but my bf says no more tanks.

I've used heaters in acrylic tanks before and never had a problem, with most heaters the actual heating surface doesn't get very hot, and there is usually a layer of water between the warm surface and the side of the tank anyway, in my experience.
ElmoFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 12:33 AM   #3 
ChrisPerson

oh wow, a 100% water change had never occurred to me! go figure! I like this idea especially because I wont have to wait to adopt my new baby, lol. Plus I was very skeptical about the "under-gravel filter" which has no carbon or anything, and completely changing the water will take a lot of that worry away, as well as being able to easily clean any algae from a curved surface, which I was concerned about as well. You're a genius, lol.

And btw, regarding that tank, the LED isn't as bright as i hoped it would be, but it's still pretty cool. I picked it because of the 360 degree view. It's placed in a very central, eye-level location where the fish will be able to see everything except into the bedroom. He'll even get to watch me cook, lol.

thanks for the help!
ChrisPerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 02:23 PM   #4 
sharon

question? doesn't a 100% water change destroy all of the beneficial bacteria,and don't you end up with permanent cloudy water due to bacteria bloom, Im used to a 60 and 30 gal tanks and would never do this, is it different for smaller tanks?,
sharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 02:47 PM   #5 
dramaqueen
Banned

Smaller tanks are harder to cycle from what I've heard. I would change the water once or twice a week.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 07:59 PM   #6 
Kim

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharon View Post
question? doesn't a 100% water change destroy all of the beneficial bacteria,and don't you end up with permanent cloudy water due to bacteria bloom, Im used to a 60 and 30 gal tanks and would never do this, is it different for smaller tanks?,
Yes, it is different. Your water wouldn't be cloudy because you are changing it too often for any toxins or bacteria to build up. I personally like cycled tanks best because of the stability and for my peace of mind if I go on vacation, but I don't have any experience trying to cycle a tank that small. My smallest is 5.5 gallons and it is cycled and stable as can be .
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 03:18 PM   #7 
sharon

thanks, Il start off by changing 50 -75% once a week plus it has a filter, and take it from there, Im going to fully cycle the tank first, then add my betta, i guess its all a learning curve
sharon is offline   Reply With Quote