Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-05-2009, 01:59 AM   #1 
Rain Drop

just got a betta today and it's dying! D:

Darn it! He's just a a young little CT.....right now he's lying on his side and his gills are moving rapidly.....I noticed earlier today that he seemed to have a bit of trouble swimming, but now its come to this??!? D<

I don't know what to do.....if I don't receive any help I don't think he's going to make it

Last edited by Rain Drop; 09-05-2009 at 02:18 AM.
Rain Drop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 02:20 AM   #2 
Rain Drop

so he managed to swim up on a leaf that's right near the surface and he's laying awkwardly on that.....so at least he hopefully won't drown while I sleep.....could it be SBD?
Old 09-05-2009, 08:41 AM   #3 
JamieTron

Hey, I bought two of my newer males from a petstore in a small cup each LIKE SMALL and basically they are just set out until they die in these cups (their water was disgusting)...so I grabbed two and saved them. They were in a similar fashion to your betta, trouble breathing and lying at the bottom...BUT they are both alive and swimming lots today...I will tell you what I did maybe this will help for you.

First thing I did was acclimate them to the water, once I seen their state I lowered the water level so that they could easily access the top of the water. I then fasted them for about two days, because mine had swollen bellies. I would do frequent water changes at this time acclimating them each time because I did not want to stress them (I didn't acclimate them for as long as when they first came home, just a few minutes). After two days I fed them dried blood worms (only a tiny bit each day). One of mine took only 3 or 4 days to be able to hold himself upright properly, so I increased the water level. The other (I thought would not make it) took almost two weeks and would not eat, but I was determined and kept with it..and he pulled though.

If you bought yours in a similar fashion they could have been water with toxic levels of nitrates or ammonia or other substances. They just need time for their bodies to recuperate.

I hope this helps you out and that your fish pulls through! Just keep a close eye on him :) I am rooting for ya!
JamieTron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 08:42 AM   #4 
Elena

Did you acclimate him slowly to the new water? He may be in shock if you did not. Acclimation takes about 30 min and you keep adding new water to their cup until most of the water is new water.
Elena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 09:23 AM   #5 
Rain Drop

shoot! I never acclimated him properly! I just let his bag water get the same temp as the tank water D: It's probably that......thank-you so much jamietron! I leave for work soon now, but I'm totally going to take action on what you advised as soon as I get home!!<3333
Old 09-05-2009, 09:42 AM   #6 
JamieTron

I am rooting for you :) I hope all goes well! Good luck!
JamieTron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 09:44 AM   #7 
5green

did you use water conditioner (it makes tap water safe for fish)
5green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 09:19 PM   #8 
Rain Drop

@5green

yes, I did.
Old 09-05-2009, 09:43 PM   #9 
Rohland

Maybe you bought him sick. Most bettas from petstores come with sometimes parasites, most come with fin rot. And should be treated with aquarium salt and medicine. However if yours is that sick, it may be too late.
Rohland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 12:29 AM   #10 
Rain Drop

He never appeared sick in his little bowl at the store....and all the other fish were very healthy looking....except for one CT with major shredded fins....the girl working there thought it was cool looking D: ( I never said anything tho cuz I have no backbone Dx )

anyways, I just did a full wc and I'm floating him in a cup in the tank...once it's the same temp I'll slowly acclimate him. I also lowered the water level by half and I don't plan on feeding him today either.

I really hope this works....it's just that it almost looks like he's bottom heavy when he swims.....like he's too heavy for his own good or he's really weak or something :c Sometimes I swear he'll pass out because I won't even see his gills moving now!