Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-15-2013, 10:00 PM   #1 
Monika

Exclamation NEED HELP!!! - My betta fish has pop eye!!

Hello all!!!

I'm in need of some help, I'm not an expect at fish, however I do own 1 little betta fish which I love. Unfortunately, I have learnt that he has popeye....?

I think it's at an early stage still (though correct me if I'm wrong) because his eye is slightly swollen, it's noticeable if you look at him.

I need some help as to what I should do.

Not sure what to tell you about my tank but i'll give it a shot (forgive me, this is my first thread ever):

It's a 2.5 gallon tank.
Filtered with a filter hanging off the back of the aquarium.
It's planted with 3 types of small plants (not sure what the species are) but i believe that they are better than plastic or silk plants.
There is a heater
There is a thermometer
There is gravel at the bottom
The hood of the aquarium has a non-heating bulb installed
There are also very light bubbles turned on in the back (very gentle is what i meant to say)
and over all there isn't much current in the tank since I know beta fish don't like too much movement going on....

Also, I went to my local fish store, and was told to buy "Kana Plex" to treat the pop eye....? I just got it today about 30 minutes ago...

Anything else I can do for my little guy? :(
Please help!!

- Monika
Monika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 11:40 PM   #2 
Tazman
TFK Moderator

Post moved by moderator to correct section.
Tazman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 11:42 PM   #3 
Sakura8

Thanks Taz.

Hi Monika and welcome to the forum. I'm sorry about your betta. Do you think you can post a pic of him? That will really help me with a diagnosis. :)
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 11:55 PM   #4 
Monika

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura8 View Post
Thanks Taz.

Hi Monika and welcome to the forum. I'm sorry about your betta. Do you think you can post a pic of him? That will really help me with a diagnosis. :)
Thank you for your response!!
Here's a picture of him:

By the way, this was the best picture I could of taken of him...
Attached Images

Old 10-16-2013, 12:00 AM   #5 
Tree

Oh no. =( poor guy. I hear Epsom Salt works for these kind of things but I am sure someone will help you more. <3 good luck.
Tree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 12:10 AM   #6 
Sakura8

Ah, yeah, that's popeye. One of the causes of popeye is a localized bacterial infection. The bacteria causes gases in something called the epithelial layer. These gases cause the eye to bulge outward.

There are two different meds that can be used treat this. One is Seachem Kanaplex, a broad spectrum antibiotic that absorbs well into the system via the skin and gills. Most other antibiotics don't. It also helps to use this food to make a medicated food. The key is to get the meds into the sysem, not topical.

The other medication that you could use is API Erythromycin, a gram positive bacteria. A lot of eye infections are gram positive so this will help as well. You can use erythromycin with Kanaplex if you want to. If I was going to recommend one over the other, it would be Kanaplex. The problem is this med is hard to find and often has to be ordered online.
Old 10-16-2013, 12:22 AM   #7 
shannonpwns

Looks just like my girls pop eye, she came down with it about 5 days ago. I was originally going to treat with Epsom salt, until I noticed her eye was red around it, so I have been treating with kanaplex. Of which I had to order online. I got it on eBay for $8, but it took 4 days to get here. Luckily I had it on hand when my girl got pop eye.

This is her 5th day of treatment, and her eye is almost completely healed. The swelling has gone down 90%, and the redness is completely gone. So I would suggest kanaplex, like Sakura8 has suggested already.

To treat with kanaplex, I mix 1/5 of the spoon that comes with the medication, with 1 gallon of dechlorinated water, and then add that to the jar she is in for quarantine. Per the instructions, it says to redose every 2 days, for 3 treatments. I also have some IAL in with her and some live plants to help with any ammonia.
shannonpwns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 12:36 AM   #8 
Monika

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura8 View Post
Ah, yeah, that's popeye. One of the causes of popeye is a localized bacterial infection. The bacteria causes gases in something called the epithelial layer. These gases cause the eye to bulge outward.

There are two different meds that can be used treat this. One is Seachem Kanaplex, a broad spectrum antibiotic that absorbs well into the system via the skin and gills. Most other antibiotics don't. It also helps to use this food to make a medicated food. The key is to get the meds into the sysem, not topical.

The other medication that you could use is API Erythromycin, a gram positive bacteria. A lot of eye infections are gram positive so this will help as well. You can use erythromycin with Kanaplex if you want to. If I was going to recommend one over the other, it would be Kanaplex. The problem is this med is hard to find and often has to be ordered online.
Yeah I got my hands on KanaPlex. Thankfully the local Big Als fish store here carries it on a regular basis!! :)

How exactly do I give it to the fish? Do I keep him in the take he's in?
Old 10-16-2013, 12:38 AM   #9 
Monika

Quote:
Originally Posted by shannonpwns View Post
Looks just like my girls pop eye, she came down with it about 5 days ago. I was originally going to treat with Epsom salt, until I noticed her eye was red around it, so I have been treating with kanaplex. Of which I had to order online. I got it on eBay for $8, but it took 4 days to get here. Luckily I had it on hand when my girl got pop eye.

This is her 5th day of treatment, and her eye is almost completely healed. The swelling has gone down 90%, and the redness is completely gone. So I would suggest kanaplex, like Sakura8 has suggested already.

To treat with kanaplex, I mix 1/5 of the spoon that comes with the medication, with 1 gallon of dechlorinated water, and then add that to the jar she is in for quarantine. Per the instructions, it says to redose every 2 days, for 3 treatments. I also have some IAL in with her and some live plants to help with any ammonia.

Oh wow!! That's good to hear that the medication is working!!
Yeah, like I said above, my local fish store always has KanaPlex and it's $8.99 which I guess isn't too too bad. I mean I will spend that money regardless to save a life. It has a heart too <3

So do you actually separate the fish from its actual aquarium? That's what I understood from what you wrote...? I could be wrong. Then again it is the middle of the night...
Old 10-16-2013, 12:47 AM   #10 
Sakura8

Monika, yes. It's best to treat in a separate hospital tank. :) If you don't have a spare tank, it's okay to treat him in his regular tank. Just remove any carbon from your filter. You may want to also remove your live plants as some don't tolerate meds well. So glad you could get Kanaplex.

Tags
popeye