You two are amazing.
We're not sure what it is, but according to pictures, I'm really leaning to Saprolegnia. It was a huge [pea sized? maybe bigger?] white cotton clump coming directly out of his left gill. We removed it, but it might be coming back. This morning, I couldn't tell, but I'll check on him tonight around 8:30 - I'm unfortunately gone for the day today.
Last night, I ended up guessing what 1/10th of the tablet would be, and added that to his tank. I'm planning on doing what LittleBlueFishlets suggested, and will make a mix of treated water with the remaining chunk of 1/4th of the tablet [meaning I've in total, including the 1/10th or so I used last night, used only 1/4th of a tablet]. I'll do a slow 50% water change tomorrow morning using that 1 gallon mixture - should I save the half that I have left afterwards, or would it be fine to discard, since at that time I'll have 23.75 tablets left? [We overbought, oops..!
Oh, wait, now I'm addressing the hybrid suggestion y'all gave me, with the smaller amount of water. Should I do that instead? I'm assuming both would be used tomorrow when I do a 50% water change and add new medication...
ALSO! Do you think I'm onto something with his fin rot/whatever he might have had leading to this infection? Do you think Jungle Fungus Clear might be a cure-all for whatever he is suffering from?
ALSO! The tank currently has Maracyn 2 in it. I've seen completely contrasting advice everywhere: most say that Maracyn 1 [on its way right now to my house] and 2 are a great combo, and are fine with Jungle Fungus Clear too. Is this a mistake? When I do my water change tomorrow, should I add more Maracyn 2 [and/or 1, if it arrives]? Or should I leave it as is, focus on Jungle Fungus Clear for now, and then continue Maracyn later?
He is all kinds of sick, as you can tell from my other forum post.
Thank you both 400,000,000 times, maybe even more!