Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-15-2013, 09:07 PM   #1 
taylordean

Exclamation Urgent Jungle Fungus Clear Question!

It is SO darn hard to pinpoint treatments for bettas! This has been EXHAUSTING!

I posted a while back about my tank dying, but I now know that my betta has Saprolegnia, along with tail rot, which possibly led him to be sick enough to get the Saprolegnia.

I had Jungle Fungus Clear overnighted and it just arrived ten minutes ago. I am willing to blindly follow the box, but was curious if anyone had any suggestions for treatment.

I did a 100% water change this morning. Should I do another before adding the fizz tab? Do I continue to do daily water changes, or do I leave the water as is until my next tab cycle?

The tank is a very tiny 1 gallon - he's in isolation right now. Should I do a full tab? Half tab? It recommends 1 tab for every 10 gallons - is it possible to overdo it?

Also, should I wait 4 days to add another tab, or can I do it sooner? He's really not doing well at all.

We swabbed away his cotton growth [it was in his left gill, terribly sad] this morning, and he has been okay since. He has eaten a little, but can't swim to the top, so I have to sink the pellets JUST SO so that he can snap at it.

Any advice? I'd really appreciate it. I'll be up for another hour or so, and would really like to do this tonight to save him.

In case you want information that I posted last week, here is my old thread:
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=282705
taylordean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 09:34 PM   #2 
hollyk

I'm sorry I can't answer most of your questions. But one thing I will say- don't use the entire tab! I recently used the same product for a betta I rescued with advanced fin rot. I had a similar situation with a small tank and I actually cut the tablet into tenths. The water still turned green with a tiny part of the tablet, and he's recovering very quickly. I think the recommended dose works great. I just used the sharpest knife I own to score the tablet to break it into tenths. It's not easy, but it can be done. Giving him ten times the recommended dose might kill him, I would think. Good luck!
hollyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 11:15 PM   #3 
LittleBlueFishlets

Are you sure that it's Saprolegnia? Or is it Columnaris? Both result in white cotton-like "fuzz."

Saprolegnia - tends to grow on dead/dying tissue. Caused by mold/fungus.
Columnaris - tends to grow on healthy/living tissue. Caused by gram negative bacteria.

IMO, it's probably Columnaris. (Unless the fish had a previous wound/injury that became infected.) The good news is that Jungle Fungus Clear is the perfect medication for this.

And yes, it is possible to overdose medications. They're metabolized by the liver and excreted by the kidneys. So using too much can put a lot of stress on these organs.

Since it's a tablet, I would:
a) Cut it in quarters. Each is sufficient to treat 2.5 gallons.
Wrap three of the sections in aluminum foil. Put this in a plastic baggie. Store this for future use.

b) Cut the remaining quarter in half. This is sufficient to treat 1.25 gallons.
Add one of these to the tank.

c) Fill a 1 gallon jug with water. Add conditioner. Then add the other half quarter. Use this for water changes during the 4 day treatment period.

For example:

Day 1: Take a one-quarter tablet. Cut it in half.
Add the half (of a quarter) directly to the tank.
Add the other half (of a quarter) to 1 gal of water. Add conditioner.

Day 2: Do nothing.

Day 3: Do a 50% water change in the tank.
a) Remove 50% of the water.
b) Using your premixed medicated solution, slowly add new water to the tank, over the course of about 30 minutes. (Taking longer is OK.)

Day 4: Do nothing.

Day 5: Assess the situation. Let us know how he's doing. (Hopefully, he'll be better and won't need more medication.)
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 11:59 PM   #4 
LostxinthexMusic

LBF, you hit it right on the head! I've used Fungus Clear in about the same slight over-concentration that you suggest, and it worked wonders.

Taylordean, if you don't want to fuss with cuttin the tab, you can measure out 20 or 30 Tbsp of water, dissolve the whole tab in that, and add 2 or 3 Tbsp of that to the tank. Then, when you change the water, just make sure you replace what you took out. Best of luck with you poor little guy!
LostxinthexMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 12:16 AM   #5 
LittleBlueFishlets

If you want to do what LostxinthexMusic suggested, then I would:

a) Using a measuring cup, fill it to a number that's easily divisible by 10. (For example: 30 ounces.)

b) Add conditioner.

c) Drop a tablet in. Let it dissolve.

d) Then remove 1/10th of the treated water. (For example: 3 ounces.) Add this amount to the tank.

e) Store the remaining medicated water for use in water changes. Remember to only use 1/10th of it.
For example: Fill a container with 1 gal of water. Add conditioner. Add 3 ounces of the medicated water to the container. Use this new gallon for the water change.

f) At the end of 4 days, throw out any remaining solution. The medication is no longer effective.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 12:18 AM   #6 
LostxinthexMusic

Thanks for making my suggestion more instructive, LBF
Old 10-16-2013, 10:59 AM   #7 
taylordean

You two are amazing.

We're not sure what it is, but according to pictures, I'm really leaning to Saprolegnia. It was a huge [pea sized? maybe bigger?] white cotton clump coming directly out of his left gill. We removed it, but it might be coming back. This morning, I couldn't tell, but I'll check on him tonight around 8:30 - I'm unfortunately gone for the day today.

Last night, I ended up guessing what 1/10th of the tablet would be, and added that to his tank. I'm planning on doing what LittleBlueFishlets suggested, and will make a mix of treated water with the remaining chunk of 1/4th of the tablet [meaning I've in total, including the 1/10th or so I used last night, used only 1/4th of a tablet]. I'll do a slow 50% water change tomorrow morning using that 1 gallon mixture - should I save the half that I have left afterwards, or would it be fine to discard, since at that time I'll have 23.75 tablets left? [We overbought, oops..! ]

Oh, wait, now I'm addressing the hybrid suggestion y'all gave me, with the smaller amount of water. Should I do that instead? I'm assuming both would be used tomorrow when I do a 50% water change and add new medication...

ALSO! Do you think I'm onto something with his fin rot/whatever he might have had leading to this infection? Do you think Jungle Fungus Clear might be a cure-all for whatever he is suffering from?

ALSO! The tank currently has Maracyn 2 in it. I've seen completely contrasting advice everywhere: most say that Maracyn 1 [on its way right now to my house] and 2 are a great combo, and are fine with Jungle Fungus Clear too. Is this a mistake? When I do my water change tomorrow, should I add more Maracyn 2 [and/or 1, if it arrives]? Or should I leave it as is, focus on Jungle Fungus Clear for now, and then continue Maracyn later?

He is all kinds of sick, as you can tell from my other forum post.

Thank you both 400,000,000 times, maybe even more!
Old 10-16-2013, 11:01 AM   #8 
taylordean

And thank you to hollyk for the quick response last night!
I totally cut it into tenths, at your suggestion! You may have saved him from poisoning! YAY! You're great!!
Old 10-16-2013, 11:59 AM   #9 
LostxinthexMusic

Honestly, whichever method you choose is all down to personal preference. I personally prefer pre-dissolving the whole tablet, because it allows me to be more precise with the dosage, but if you can cut the tablet well enough, I don't see why that wouldn't work just as well, and let you save more of the medicine (although it sounds like that's not really a concern XD). Either way, he will get the medicine he needs! I don't have much experience with Maracyn; I've only ever (unsuccessfully) used Maracyn II, so maybe LBF can help you more there.
Old 10-16-2013, 12:00 PM   #10 
taylordean

Thanks for the feedback! I'm going to experiment with cutting/dissolving and see which one makes me LESS furious. :D