Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-16-2013, 12:18 PM   #11 
LostxinthexMusic

Well, predissolving has never made me furious, I can guarantee you that
LostxinthexMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 12:18 PM   #12 
taylordean

I had a rough night last night. Package delivery drama.
I'm sure tonight/tomorrow will be calmer. :D
taylordean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 12:20 PM   #13 
LostxinthexMusic

We all know how that goes... Wishing you and your fishy the best!
Old 10-20-2013, 09:56 AM   #14 
taylordean

Hi everyone!

A quick update on Galileo, and another beg for advice:

We finished his Jungle Treatment [1/4 tab total over five days or so in a 1 gallon tank] and he still isn't acting his perky self. He has gotten a little better at eating, but still can't swim.

We have been doing half-tank water changes daily, and are also treating him with Maracyn and Maracyn One.

What else can we do? Should we start another round of Jungle Fungus Clear? Is treating him jointly with that and the two Maracyns a good or bad idea? Should we do a full tank clean [hasn't been done since last Sunday or Monday]?
Old 10-20-2013, 11:28 AM   #15 
LittleBlueFishlets

1) I would not use Maracyn 2 (minocycline) and Jungle Fungus Clear at the same time. Both are effective against gram-negative bacterial infections. It's not necessary to double-up on them. Medications are metabolized by the liver and excreted by the kidneys. So using both simultaneously won't really help an infection, but will place additional burden on the internal organs.

2) Maracyn (erithromycin) is a gram positive antibiotic. But the majority of infections are due to gram negative bacteria. So it may be useful, or may not be, depending on the condition your fish has.

3) If you are doing 50% daily water changes, are you using medication-treated water for this? If not, you would be diluting the medication too much.

4) You originally felt that he had Saprolegnia. Do you still feel this way? Here's how to differentiate:
Saprolegnia - tends to grow on dead/dying tissue. Caused by mold/fungus.
Columnaris - tends to grow on healthy/living tissue. Caused by gram negative bacteria.

If he truly has Saprolegnia, then IMO, I would not use any of the current medications that you're using. Maracyn, Maracyn 2 and Jungle Fungus Clear are excellent antibiotics (effective against bacterial infections). However, Saprolegnia is caused by a mold/fungus. Therefore, antibiotics are not effective.

5) Can you post a photo of him? You mentioned both symptoms of Saprolegnia/Columnaris and fin rot. If you can get a photo showing these, it might be helpful for people.

6) Yes, if you haven't done a 100% water change since last week, and the medication treatment cycle is finished, then I would do a full water change. This will remove bacteria, toxins, wastes and medication from the water.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 10:05 PM   #16 
taylordean

Thank you so much for your reply! Sorry for just now getting back to you, I've been swamped for two days.

We're now treating him with only Maracyn, and a second round of Jungle Fungus Clear.

When we do water changes, it is with medication-treated water from a pre-mixed gallon jug, as suggested! :]

I honestly don't know what he has. My instinct STILL says Saprolegnia, based on his first original growth - it was a large, pea-sized cotton out of his left gills. I can't VERIFY that it was injured tissue that it was growing on, but we assume yes, as he has some kind of fin rot that MAY be ammonia burn? We aren't sure, he has had perfect ammonia levels since he has moved to his hospital tank, but could have had a lot of damage done in the other tank with his roommates. But he ALSO has some crazy deterioration going on with his body, as I said, so we have been treating him with all regardless, as that was the best mix of medicine I could find based on four hours or so of research. If you have more suggestions for additional medicine, please let me know.

We did a 100% water change yesterday, and another 50% change today. He hasn't eaten since Saturday, so that's an awful sign. Really distraught. Do y'all know of any other masters of fish medication we could contact? [Not negating your suggestions at all! Just the more, the merrier at this point. We're devastated.]

Is DarkMoon17 still active? I'm DMing him/her, since a lot of what I'm going off of is based on his/her thread here:

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=73355

Here are photos of Galileo now:

I know there are four prominent white spots on his lower body and tail. These are actually water bubbles, NOT growths on his body.

He's sickly, has a weird texture on his head, and is losing his fins and tail. He also just lies there, as you can see in this second photo.

That's what he used to look like. It makes me so sick to see how gorgeous he is. What have we done? ;_;

[If the first two photos don't work, they're also here:
http://imgur.com/a/k6pCW]
Old 10-22-2013, 08:15 AM   #17 
taylordean

Also, should we be using a heater? I read many places that we shouldn't to prevent the spread of fungus, but he has to be so cold by now!
Old 10-22-2013, 08:20 AM   #18 
LostxinthexMusic

Many diseases thrive in warmer water, but I don't know if his is one of them. However, if you're concerned, try to keep him about 75 degrees Fahrenheit. It's on the low end for betas, but he should still be comfortable, and the disease won't.
Old 10-22-2013, 08:20 AM   #19 
taylordean

Thanks much! I'll see what the temperature is now, and if it's miserably low, consider bringing it to 75.
Old 10-22-2013, 09:10 AM   #20 
ANHEL123

I hope he will get better. And don't blame yourself though you here for help meaning that you really care and try to help little guy for so long. We all have pats and fish just like any animal or human can get sick no matter how good you taking care of them. That is why is so many people posting every second on this forum.
Please keep us updated:(
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote