Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-06-2009, 04:25 PM   #1 
Jupiter

Talking Omg!

Long post ahead:

I got the female bettas! I am so excited!
Right now they're in their baggy floating in the tank. Bambi is swimming against the bag for dear life, trying to investigate her large new home. It's so cute. xD

Today my aunt suddenly told me we're going to the mall that had the petstore, and they were still there! So I got the pair and I bought them a few silk plants until I can get the real thing for them to hide in. I also got a breeding trap in case they start to bully each other.

Tomorrow is Labour Day, but Tuesday I'm heading to Petsmart to get two more girls if possible, as well as live plants and food. The petstore only had Goldfish and Tropical fish flakes!
I figure I'm safe for a day or two since they're new to their tank and probably won't eat anyway.

I wish I had a camera to show you guys, both of them are sooo adorable. ♥
One is a dull beige sort of colour with darker little speckles on her fins, which are lavender/light blue. When i saw her in the petstore, i knew right away that her name would be Bambi. If there was ever a fish that called out to me, it would be Bambi (or my old female Zoro, RIP).
The other girl is much more brightly coloured, a sort of violet sort of colour that changes to indigo when her body hits the light, and blue-ish green fins that also have speckles. I couldn't think of a name for her. I was planning on asking you guys, but my aunt suggested the name Lolita which I loved for her. But I'm still open to any suggestions you guys have.
Both of them have really dark horizontal stripes. Are those breeding stripes, or stress stripes?

Unfortunately, both seem to have nipped fins, so I may have to use the breeding trap. So far both of them aren't doing much (the water they were in feels a bit chilly), but I'll have to keep an eye on them.
When i go to Petsmart, should I get salt to treat the fins? What do you reccomend?

I AM SO EXCITED! I will have to beg my aunt and uncle to let me use their camera later, lol.

Last edited by Jupiter; 09-06-2009 at 04:32 PM.
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 04:33 PM   #2 
5green

omg they must be soo cute
5green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 04:38 PM   #3 
Rohland

yay! I went to petland.. However I think their fish are over priced. However someone and I swear its wasnt me put a female betta beside a male and there is a bubble nest being built and the female was so round.

The female was $5 i think.. However I didnt know what tail she is, second I am not ready to breed... yet!
Rohland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 04:50 PM   #4 
Jupiter

The place I went to was called Pet World, I think. I've seen them in a few malls i've been to.
I bought Bambi and Lolita for $5.94 each. I think in Petsmart they're a dollar cheaper.
Old 09-06-2009, 04:54 PM   #5 
Rohland

petsmart the vt males are 3.49 and the females are the sam ei believe
Old 09-06-2009, 04:59 PM   #6 
Jupiter

I guess they were overpriced, then. I'll compare to Petsmart on Tuesday. But they are sooo cute that it doesn't really bother me.

Oh btw, I noticed in your sig that you keep Corys. How are they? I was thinking of buying a few to clean up the bottom.
Old 09-06-2009, 05:10 PM   #7 
Rohland

Wonderful actually. I am in love with them. I only intended in keeping them only, And use my 5 gal as a quarantine tank/babies if it ever happened. However I fell in love with bettas as of yesterday, and want to put maybe 4 females in my corydora tank. Two males in my 5 gal. Then maybe get another one or two 10 gals for more betta fish. Spawnning in the future maybe. I am addicted, I should get a job at the petstore to get discounts on this expensive hobby.
Old 09-06-2009, 05:11 PM   #8 
puppyrjjkm

Congrats! Oh and I went to Petsmart today, they had a sign in the window that said open on Labor Day, just if you wanted to go tomorrow. Hehe I came home with a new male : )
puppyrjjkm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 05:24 PM   #9 
Rohland

What did you use to divide your tank? Is it bad if the bettas see eachother? Right now I am using the DIY technique, with a clear divider in the middle. I havent bought that mesh thing in the middle yet. Just the clear plastic report cover.
Old 09-06-2009, 05:32 PM   #10 
Jupiter

I must admit at first I thought they were sort of piggy-looking and didn't like them, but I saw them puttering around at Petsmart and they're starting to grow on me. They don't eat algae though, do they?

The Petsmart I went to had a sign that said it was closed on Labour Day, but if I can get a ride I may check another store. Thanks.