Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-16-2013, 01:25 AM   #1 
Sweetstrwbrry

I'm sick of fungus!

My fish had an injury about a month ago sustained to his pectoral fin. Most likely from a decoration or rock. Almost the entire fin has disappeared and white cottony fluffy stuff keeps growing in the area and stems out from his body. Also noticed it on the side of his gills.

I have tried melafix and pimafix and neither seem to work. I tried salt before that and honestly the salt worked better. It kept the problem at bay more. I'm sick of those nasty smelling medicines and they only seem to stink up the tank and make the problem worse.

I took fish out earlier to change the water and through the trauma swimming if being moved, most of the fungus fell off. I also used a qtip against him to remove even more. Yon can't even tell he is affected by that now but I guarantee when I check tomorrow it will be there again.

I have absolutely no idea what to do for my poor fish :( I'm sick of this fungus! I am trying my hardest to keep the tank clean but it is hard because it is an isolation 2 gallon tank where he is in a 10 gallon filtered tank normally.

What other options do I have? I feel like I have tried everything!
Sweetstrwbrry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 07:14 PM   #2 
Sweetstrwbrry

Anybody? He is still pretty fungus free today. Should I do 100% change with salt everyday for his 2 gallon tank?
Old 10-17-2013, 08:39 PM   #3 
ANHEL123

I would think if he is acting healthy and eating its can be that he is shading a slime coat . Slime coat is clear, slimy looking substance. Its can happened when fish being treated or from the injury.
If you can try to do daily water changes . Do you have stress coat? Stress coat has Aloe Vera in it and really good for the healing .
DO NOT USE ANY MEDICINE with ''fix'' in it. It has tea tree oil and very bad for the betta labyrinth organs, its can be even fatal if you overdose it.
Do not keep the water too warm. 76* is good. There is more chance for infections in the warmer water.
Is he still acting healthy and eating?
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 08:58 PM   #4 
Sweetstrwbrry

He is not eating that much but he is still very active and this problem has been going on for a month. Is the fungus preventing the wound from healing?
Old 10-17-2013, 11:08 PM   #5 
ANHEL123

I really suspect that its can be not fungus, but it can be slime coat . Is it look like he has something similar like the picture in the middle top row?
https://www.google.com/search?q=bett...sm=93&ie=UTF-8

I would think if it would be the fungus that he has for a month he probobly will be in the worse condition , like claimed fins, fungus on the body like that picture in the link i posted. I think its might be his lime coat . Usually fish excess a bit of a slime coat when they have injury or were treated with medications or salt. Slime coat will fall or might not with a water change, its also more clear and slimy . But if your fish is dark color it might seems more white colored.
If he is acting healthy and eating just do more water changes . But keep close eye on him.
Fungus of course will prevent the wound from healing. But with true fungus fish will not act healthy. Slime coat its not a bad thing it actually his natural defense against the infection.
Old 10-18-2013, 12:29 AM   #6 
Sweetstrwbrry

Really??? I was wondering why he is still active after all this time. It does get pretty fluffy though and then they fall off. It is more fluffy than anything :/ I am keeping up with the water and salt changes to see what happens.
Old 10-18-2013, 04:57 PM   #7 
ANHEL123

How much salt you been adding and how long?
Old 10-18-2013, 05:26 PM   #8 
shannonpwns

If you can post a picture of your fish, it will be easier to help diagnose whether it's fungus or something else.
shannonpwns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 06:31 PM   #9 
Sweetstrwbrry

I've been adding 1 tablespoon for 2 gallons. I can't get a good picture because it's too dark in the room where I have him :( the flash makes it look terrible.
Old 10-18-2013, 06:49 PM   #10 
shannonpwns

Can you put a lamp above him just to take a pic real fast?

You keep referring to it as cottony, and that makes me think of columnaris.
Attached Images

Last edited by shannonpwns; 10-18-2013 at 06:52 PM.
shannonpwns is offline   Reply With Quote