Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-16-2013, 03:22 AM   #1 
Tamsin

Colour ID

This is my boy "Fishy" the day we brought him home:

The reason I bought him was because of those strange red tips on his fins. I asked you guys what it was and got a variety of answers, but clean, warm water seemed to be the best treatment for whatever was going on. (PS. to the guy that suggested fin rot, you win, huzzah!)
Clean water didn't work, and now he has lost about 70% of his fins. We managed to lose the rot with meds and his fins are very slowly growing back and he's a much happier fish (or angrier, but I think that's a good sign).
However, since then he's changed colour dramatically. His once pretty pale yellow is now an angry child's finger-painting of black, blue, metallic grey, tan, yellow and whatever else. He doesn't seem to have much of any pattern and I can't find his colour on any of the varieties pages on the web.

It's pretty obvious he's a marble, but I don't have a very good understanding of how marble acts.. I assumed it was less "normal yellow fish turns into what happens when you mash 4 different pots of galaxy slime together" and more "white fish changing into blue fish, getting pretty white markings here and there"
Here's a pic of him a month or so ago:

Since that pic was taken he has become a lot, well, uglier.. but in a good way, because I really like this fish. A good kind of ugly where his head has turned black and there's random bits of blackish greyish in places on his body.
Is there an actual variety defining him or do I have to keep calling him "4 different pots of galaxy slime smooshed together"?
If you need a better/more recent pic I can try and get one, though he's freaked out by cameras so it might not be easy.
Tamsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 09:14 AM   #2 
Tamsin

I managed to distract him with food for long enough tonight to get a decent picture of him.
This shows off the iridescence in his body quite well but not the colours in his fins. The yukky blue grey at the base of the fins shines a bright light metallic blue in light, and the pink and yellow on the caudal also have a metallic sheen.
His face also looks a lot darker IRL, his entire head appears black.

Any ideas?
Attached Images

Old 10-16-2013, 09:28 AM   #3 
Mo

He's a very pretty fish :)

He looks like a Blue yellow marble CT male. I had a male that use to have a similar coloration but not with the same amount of irredescence. It's hard to tell what color a marble will turn, develop into, and become without knowing its genetic history, how it's siblings acted and how the parents colors changed... And even then, it's still hard to know. Marbles don't usually follow any specific pattern anything

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  58.9 KB

Last edited by Mo; 10-16-2013 at 09:30 AM.
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 09:40 AM   #4 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

I agree, yellow multi or marble. Most likely he's more multi than marble since he was yellow at the store which obviously wasn't his true colors since he was so stressed out. And then when he felt better, the blue iridescence and more black showed up to fully color him out. So I vote Yellow Multi ^_^ I'm glad he's doing well though!
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 09:06 PM   #5 
Tank Gurl

Its crazy what a good home and food can do. Im sure he'll go through a few different colors being a marble. They are fun to have. He looks alot better. =)
Tank Gurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 03:00 AM   #6 
Tamsin

Thanks guys :D
With all the stalking I do of threads on here you think I'd know this, but why do the colours on his fins have a metallic sheen? Is that just iridescence? I assumed iri showed up on just the scales on the body.

Also one more thing. In the last pic I posted his head appears much lighter than usual. I just thought it was a trick of the light because usually his face is black. However last night when we came home I was checking up on him and accidentally woke him up when I lifted the lid. He swam around giving me "the look" for doing so and I noticed all the black was gone from his face. I assumed this meant he was changing colours again already, but when I checked on him again an hour later his face had returned to black. Normal???
Old 10-18-2013, 07:29 AM   #7 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Most likely he wasn't changing colors, what you saw was him losing colors. It often happens when they sleep, rest or get stressed where a normally black Betta will turn grey, sometimes even closer to white depending on the severity.

And irid is also on the fins just not on the ray's. Looking at your avatar picture, all the blue that you see on that CT is iridescence, including on the tail, dorsal and a small part of his anal fin. It's not on the ray's but on the membrane of the fin. You will see varying degree's of irid depending on the breeding of course, if you look at my avatar fish practically all that baby blue color you see on his tail is also iridescence.

If you need, I can outline where the irid is ^_^
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote