Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-07-2009, 03:19 PM   #11 
AlexXx

alright i got the test kit! freakin 35 bux.... but its got like 800 tests, so ill never have to buy one again for the next tanks i get later i hope. Any way, tested, and came up with zero ammonia! WOOO. When should i expect nitrite/nitrate?
AlexXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 03:27 PM   #12 
ElmoFish

Within the first week or so you should start to see ammonia, the spike will probably happen between weeks 2 and 3 sometime, and after the ammonia levels start to lower you should see nitrite.. nitrite will spike probably at the end of week 3, although it may take longer than that, and after nitrite spikes, you should see nitrates.
ElmoFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 03:55 PM   #13 
AlexXx

do u think i should put a few corrys or something else in there to speed up the proccess? The woman at the fish store said it would be a good idea.
Old 09-07-2009, 05:29 PM   #14 
Kim

No! The more fish you add at once the worse it will be for them. When cycling with fish you only want a few small fish to start. One betta is plenty and you really don't want to subject him to any more ammonia and nitrite than necessary. Plus it will take the tank longer to cycle with more fish and if you don't really want those fish anyway then there's no point.

Not to be rude or anything but that woman probably didn't know what she was talking about.

Good luck with your new tank!
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 06:15 PM   #15 
RoseyD

from what I remember from last month... the ammonia level will still be a factor when the nitrites test ... then the ammonia will go to zero and you will begin testing nitrates.

... be patient ... and no more fish.

you wont have to do nitrate tests until You see the nitrites . and you wont have to test nitrates until ammonia has spiked then lowered...
RoseyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 06:44 PM   #16 
AlexXx

Alright looks like you guys covered everything! Meanwhile desmond is as happy as can be in there haha. Its just a bit cloudy :/
Old 09-07-2009, 07:40 PM   #17 
Jupiter

I'm also cycling my tank, tomorrow I'm going to buy a live plant and a testing kit and do a water change with some water from my uncle's aquarium. I'll let you know what's happening if you want.
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 09:55 AM   #18 
RoseyD

about the cloudy... when you put the tank together, did you rinse the filter media well?

Just asking because I don't remember any of my 'non' live planted tanks being cloudy.
RoseyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 06:27 PM   #19 
AlexXx

Yes i did rinse them! like the instructions said! but the cloudy is gone now! its almost crystal clear!