Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-16-2013, 03:48 AM   #1 
nobbles

Some advice needed

Hi all,

I am going to be trying my hand at breeding my new bettas. I have bred in the past, but many years ago. I am starting simply, i have 2 VT males. One is Tq blue with a bit of red going through the fins and the other is a red with flecks of blue in his scales and very small amount on fins. I will take pictures.

My issue is the only females i could find in Durban South Africa are supposed to be HM black orchids, i have seen pics of them and am sure they aren't black orchids. I have got most of the local pet shops on board to buy all my fry. I have both males in their own filtered and heated 10gallon tanks and the 2 females will share a 10gallon tank. I am also looking at starting a separate breeding tank, rather than the males building bubble nests in their own tanks. The fry will have a 4ft grow out tank and i will select individually as they grow and put them in there own jars once i can see their pattern and quality. This set up worked for me in the past, but does any one have any ideas as to how i can improve my set up?

The stores im selling to know very little on betta's and just want fish to sell, so they wont be upset with the HM- VT combo. Like i said i doubt these fish are black orchids, but will post pics for you guys to help.
I am also thinking of larger grow out buckets, like ive seen on Thailand farms, but not to sure.

Thanks
nobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 06:38 AM   #2 
Ilikebutterflies

You will end up with irid multicolors with either pair. Basically red fish with blue wash and blue fish with red wash. The black in the females will make no difference whatsoever.

HM to VT will get you VT.

I'm not sure I understand where you are planning to spawn. In the males tanks?

I would use the 10g tanks as spawn/nursery tanks and just house the males in smaller containers.
Ilikebutterflies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 06:57 AM   #3 
nobbles

Was going to use a seperate 10g for breeding, than raise spawn in that tank until I need to move them. Getting VT won't be an issue, the local shops generally only sell VT. Just using these pairs to get my system right and working before I get in my proper stock. But thanks for the advice. I have two 3g tanks ill house the males in
Old 10-16-2013, 07:20 AM   #4 
Ilikebutterflies

Sounds like you are headed in the right direction then. Only thing I'd suggest is not housing the two females together. Usually they will fight if there are less than 5 or 6 females in a tank together. I like VT's.
Old 10-16-2013, 08:22 AM   #5 
nobbles

Just got the females in. Bought 10 in total. Pet shop was meant to take 8 from me. But they are closed. So I have all 10 in a 10 gallon tank and they are beating the hell ut each other. They aren't picking on one fish inparticular and no one is getting chased. I just hope they don't do to much damge or sort out a pecking order b the morning till the shop is open. Ill have selcted the fish I want from them, so will trial them in the same tank, if they are to much to handle ill seperate them.
Old 10-16-2013, 08:40 AM   #6 
nobbles

Pictures of females and one of the males. Had to take pics on my phone so not very good.
Attached Images

Old 10-16-2013, 10:42 AM   #7 
redthebetta

Sorry to rain on your party but, you may have trouble finding homes for 200 VTs. Just make sure you can home hem all.
redthebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 12:38 PM   #8 
Ilikebutterflies

The OP is in South Africa (right?). They likely won't have an issue finding homes for the fry. A pet store has already agreed to take them. Don't forget, VT's are everywhere here but not so much in the rest of the world.

To the OP: you may wish to separate the females. Housing them together is a delicate thing. The tank should be heavily planted and the girls should be introduced slowly. I wish you the best of luck but tossing them all in together may result in deaths.

Last edited by Ilikebutterflies; 10-16-2013 at 12:41 PM.
Old 10-16-2013, 12:54 PM   #9 
redthebetta

Yea, good point.
redthebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 04:04 PM   #10 
nobbles

I should be able to move all of them. VT are the most comman here, all the pet stores carry them. Very few shops stock anything else. But any left over fry will go into an swimming pool I have turned into a pond. 6 females will be going to pet shop tomorrow. So will have 2 in a 10g. The females are sisters and have never been seprated, but I do need to sepperate them first thing tomorrow. They fought earlier but have settled down now. Put 3 tall plants in before I added them. Give the ones being picked on a chance to hide.

Last edited by nobbles; 10-16-2013 at 04:09 PM.