Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-06-2009, 06:38 PM   #11 
Rohland

They are like little piggies. However sadly its too hard to name them. They all look the same. Also they prefer sand so they dont wreck their barbels. Very fine and smooth gravel works well too. They don't eat algae though. I didnt like them at first, but now im in love with them too.
Rohland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 06:49 PM   #12 
Jupiter

I have very fine gavel that's sand-like, so I think that should be okay. Would 3 be okay, or do they do better in bigger groups? Thanks for your help.
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 07:08 PM   #13 
Rohland

No less than 3, because they are shoaling fish.
What size tank do you have?
Right now in my 10 gal there is 6 Peppered Corydora.. (They are kinda common, the most common are the bronze or albino or even the emerald.) I paid $3 each for mine, just so you know the pricing at petsmart.

I also plan to add 3 or 4 female bettas. To complete the tank.
Old 09-06-2009, 07:12 PM   #14 
Jupiter

I have a 10 gallon as well. Right now it's just the pair of Bettas, but I'm going to buy two or three more and i don't want to overstock the tank. :C
Old 09-06-2009, 07:58 PM   #15 
Jupiter

Okay, sorry for the (long) double post BUT I am just so excited that I can't stop talking about them!

I finally let them out of the the baggy and I can already tell that Bambi is going to be full of personality! ♥

Lolita is hanging cautiously around near the clay pots and occasionally going up to breathe, but Bambi is swimming around investigating every nook and cranny! She started to attack the side where I forgot to clean a little spot on the outside, I guess she thoguht it was food or something.

I can't stop staring at them! They're both so adorable.
Right now both of them seem very intriguied by the little light the heater has. Lolita is staring at it while Bambi is sashaying to and fro in front of it, putting on an impressive display for the light.
I'm a little worried though, can the heater burn them or hurt them if they swim too close? Should I put a plant or something in front of it?

Also, I think Lolita may be a crowntail, but her tail is a little torn up so I can't be sure. I wish I could show you guys pictures!

And now as I'm about to post this Bambi is swimming in and out of the cave, seemingly very delighted with it. Lolita is still checking out the light.

I feel like a new mom, lol.
Old 09-06-2009, 08:06 PM   #16 
Kim

lol, the heater light is always good amusement for new bettas! It won't burn them or anything...several of mine sleep resting against it.

They sound ADORABLE btw.

Just to let you know cories will only clean up scraps of food...they don't clean up waste or old food however.
Kim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 08:11 PM   #17 
Jupiter

Thanks Kim! Lolita especially seems to like it. Bambi ditched it for better things.

That's good to know. I have one of those siphon tubes for cleaning the bottom.
Old 09-06-2009, 08:18 PM   #18 
Rohland

Yeah the heater is harmless.
All 6 of my cories actually lay on my heater. I don't know why, (its placed horizontally in my tank).
They are full of personality, they even like to swim straight up into the filter outake stream and ride the current to the front of the tank.

Glad you are enjoying your new babies! Post some pictures!
Old 09-06-2009, 08:23 PM   #19 
Jupiter

Lol! They sound like a lot of fun.

I wish I could! I have no camera apart from a crappy webcam on my laptop (I already tried, doesn't work). I HAD a camera on my cellphone...until it dropped out of my bag. Oops. 8)

My aunt and uncle have a camera, but they went out for the night and I think they took it with them. I'll see if I can borrow it later.