Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-16-2013, 11:47 AM   #1 
Perocore

Tank Size for "Giant" Plakat?

Howdy!

So I do like my little crowntail, but since I first saw Plakats for sale in Petco I've fallen in love with them, and have been dying to get one. There is a breeder I found who breeds and sells really nice Plakats, but they're all Giant Plakats, which I assume means they're bigger than your typical betta.

I still really want to put in the $25+ to get one, but I would like to know what you guys consider the minimum and the ideal tank size (in gallons) for a Giant Plakat. I was hoping a 5 gallon would be big enough, but I don't know how much larger a Giant is, so I wasn't sure if 5 gallons is too small or just right, etc.

Thanks,
Arik
Perocore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 12:06 PM   #2 
redthebetta

I believe giants need at least a 10 gallon tank.
redthebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 02:51 PM   #3 
Illhearted
Banned

A five gallon is big enough for a giant/king betta.
Illhearted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 02:52 PM   #4 
Mo

I think they can live in a 5 gallon aswell
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 03:59 PM   #5 
logisticsguy

Actually imo a 10g is minimum for giants. You certainly can keep them in 5g no problem but tank size does correlate to growth rate and ultimate size. Jim Sonnier has stated that 30+ inch long is best. Giants can very active and mine seem happier in the bigger tanks.
logisticsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 05:02 PM   #6 
Perocore

Thanks for the input everyone! Walmart sells 10 gallon tanks pretty cheap, so I'll see about picking one up! I've never done a seriously planted "natural" looking tank before, so I'd like to do what I can to go "all out" on the tank.

Thanks, everyone!
Arik
Perocore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 05:14 PM   #7 
Ilikebutterflies

Here's my tank. I have several giants. They are longer for sure but the bulk is what is impressive. 5-6 times heavier than regular bettas. I wouldn't do anything less than 10 gallons just from a water quality standpoint. Ammonia reads .25 in 1 gallon in just 24 hours. I know this because of my QT. I usually QT in 1 gallon but had to go to 2 gallon for the giants. Even in a planted/cycled tank the nitrates are 20+ in one week. I do 50% weekly WC for my giants. I did have two giant males in a divided tank that was cycled with a few plants and I had to do two 50% WC weekly.
Ilikebutterflies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 06:10 PM   #8 
litelboyblu

I would agree with a 10 gallon because i got to a transhippers store (julie tran) and her giants are huge! plus i have a original hmpk male in a 5 gallon alone and to me he looks a bit to big for it lol
litelboyblu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 07:56 PM   #9 
PeetaTheBetta

I would place a giant in a 10gal.
PeetaTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 08:32 PM   #10 
Hallyx
Reference Team

ILB makes a great point about water quality. Giants put out an incredible amount of ammonia. Reason enough to go with a larger tank
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote