Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-09-2009, 09:25 AM   #41 
andakin

its an extreme comparison but im trying to show the fact that not all beings are treated equal. you cant compare a fish to a human.

you're right. i cant take care all the offspring but thats because i choose not to. if i want to increase the variety of my collection, there is no reason to keep 100s of the same fish. i am not gonna house 1000s of fish because i want to have 10+ unique fish.

i am gonna stop talking about the culling subject for now.
andakin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 09:51 AM   #42 
dramaqueen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by andakin View Post

i am gonna stop talking about the culling subject for now.
andakin, I think that's a good idea. It's a very touchy subject.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 11:12 AM   #43 
Vikki81207

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramaqueen View Post
andakin, I think that's a good idea. It's a very touchy subject.
agree
Vikki81207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 11:26 AM   #44 
bettababe321

I think the culling issue is important to discuss but this really isn't the thread for it... if you want to argue ethics then maybe you should start a new thread and do it there... back to the real issue here:

I have alot to say, I'm sorry in advance for the long post...
I am not a breeder and I never will be due to the time and money it takes to really be sucessfull at it and do it right. My final thought on this matter is this: 5green if you really want to breed for the RIGHT reasons, then we do not have the right to stop you, but can only wish you the best and offer up our advice. But PLEASE be warned that it is NOT somthing to do "just for fun" and definitely not somthing that will make you money. Clearly you care about your fish, other wise you would not be using this forum, but when you breed you put your fishes life in danger and that is a huge risk to take, its not about how much research you've done, things can still go very wrong very quickly. We know you care about bettas as much as we all do and I'm just asking you to really way out the benefits ( if any) vs. the risks.
Think about it this way:
You could breed your bettas, spend upwards of $100 on equipment, jars, food etc. In the end you may have 100's of bettas which you either have to cull or find homes for. And if you cant find homes for them then you have to spend the money on tanks for all of them, because we all know you cannot keep your fry in jars for their entire lives. Or you may end up with no bettas becuase your pair injured eachother to the point of death and you had no fry.
OR.........
With the money you would spend on breeding equipment you could buy 3 new awesome five gallon tanks with live plants and nice filters and heaters and buy three new bettas! and you would be giving them a great new home and saving them from the terrible conditions at petstores, instead of contributing to the huge population of misstreated bettas already out there.

Again, sorry about the long post
bettababe321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 02:36 PM   #45 
WildBlue

Quote:
these are two different arguments.

you are talking about the ethical issues of breeding and what to do with the offspring. i agree 100% that people should not breed irresponsibly. i cant speak for everyone but i am breeding as a hobbyist with zero interest in profit. what i cant give away, i cull.

i am defending the fact that he has the right to breed. we have no idea what his intentions are because no one bothered to ask. he was attacked right away for throwing the idea of wanting to breed.
No one should be attacked for sure. With proper education; people should not be punished for the best of intentions.
WildBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 05:29 PM   #46 
loppy656

Talking

Quote:
these are two different arguments.

you are talking about the ethical issues of breeding and what to do with the offspring. i agree 100% that people should not breed irresponsibly. i cant speak for everyone but i am breeding as a hobbyist with zero interest in profit. what i cant give away, i cull.

i am defending the fact that he has the right to breed. we have no idea what his intentions are because no one bothered to ask. he was attacked right away for throwing the idea of wanting to breed.
5green says: What you cant give away i will take!
I say: Me too!
loppy656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 07:15 PM   #47 
ElmoFish

So.. how's the breeding going 5green? since that's what the thread was about.. did they spawn? are you still conditioning? any updates?
ElmoFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 07:41 PM   #48 
loppy656

she is still conditioning, i think.
loppy656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 07:54 PM   #49 
5green

why are we such off topic ???

ok sorry i havent been on for so long i have been a little busy,well if you have any rude comments like angelic scars had *sigh* well then dont say them its rude,and dont try to discourage me i came for this site for help not to be told by some people to tell me that i am not ready, that i have not done enough reasearch, and that i am not prepared then how would you know ? i and know that i am ready. i also think that we should stop talking about things that are off topic.
5green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 07:56 PM   #50 
5green

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElmoFish View Post
So.. how's the breeding going 5green? since that's what the thread was about.. did they spawn? are you still conditioning? any updates?
nope, still conditioning
5green is offline   Reply With Quote