Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-06-2009, 10:04 PM   #1 
Effie

Question Sleeping Bettas?

I have a question for all you long-time fish owners. What does a betta look like when they sleep? It probably sounds like a stupid question, but I just saw my betta lying on his side. I panicked and tapped the glass, which got him to move, but is that normal? I just want to make sure there's nothing wrong with him.
Effie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 12:35 AM   #2 
CharH

I've never seen mine lay on thier sides but they sit in a plant or in one of their little houses.

My husband was concerned the other day because Iggy didn't want to get out of the plant he was sitting in when my husband turned his light on. LOL But the little bum was just sleeping...

I'm sure someone with more knowledge will answer soon.
CharH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 10:41 AM   #3 
5green

my betttas wont sleep when i am near so i have no clue what they look like when they sleep =( sorry =/
5green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 04:08 PM   #4 
Kim

Well, they get more pale and usually rest somewhere. Mine all have different places to sleep...I check on them before I go to bed since they're in my room and they are always sleeping by the time I go to bed.

Prof. Lupin- behind heater resting on the suction cup
Victor- on his plant under his bubblenest or on the ground under a low plant leaf that he loves
Edelweiss- against the tank divider just floating/leaning on it
Cassanova- in his plant near the back or on the gravel, he looks pretty funny on the gravel because he's a HM and all his fins droop to one side and he looks like a little cloth crumpled on the ground :P
New Girl- behind her in-tank filter
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 11:36 PM   #5 
BakaMandy

Yes betta fish sleep, it can scare you pretty good too! Cause sometimes they sleep so deeply that even if you tap the glass they won't wake up! They usually just lay there, or perch themselves on a leaf on a plant in their tank so it's not abnormal, unless they're sleeping extremely frequent, like 90% of the time and in that case he might be sick D: Betta fish are supposed to be pretty active, so when one becomes very lethargic and doesn't move around that much, it probably means there is something wrong.
BakaMandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 11:40 PM   #6 
dramaqueen
Banned

I had one that slept so sound I had to shake the tank to get him awake! lol I had another one that liked to wedge himself under rocks and turn himself upside down.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 12:59 AM   #7 
Bluebluecow

my big red, was this morning asleep in his plant, with the adopted babies around him and white female curled up next to his tail

Liz
Bluebluecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 08:51 AM   #8 
ChloesMom

sometimes i think chloe is dead because she will sleep upside down under her rock, usually once i turn the tank light on she will be alert but there are a few times i thought i was gonna have to flush her, i think she just likes to play dead like the dog does
ChloesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 08:55 AM   #9 
dramaqueen
Banned

I thought Merlot was dead the other night when I saw him sleeping on the bottom, leaned up against the side, in a vertical position. The next morning, he was fine! lol
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 05:15 PM   #10 
Jynx

I came home late one night and switched on the light to see Lulu face down in her plant- and she slowly drifted sideways while I got ready for bed and eventually woke up, but it took a while.
Jynx is offline   Reply With Quote