Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-16-2013, 03:54 PM   #1 
Arielste

Unhappy Dead betta, how to protect the next

Hey guys, sadly, My beautiful Crowntail Elegance died last night very mysteriously. When I found him, he looked like he was sleeping, and he was the same colour as he'd always been. Now that he's passed on, I want to move my other betta into Elegance's larger tank, but I'm worried that whatever killed Elegance will kill off Ink if I'm not careful.

I'm not sure if this post belongs here but it seems relevant to me.

I've already cleaned out the tank and systems, added new gravel and boiled the driftwood. But do live plants need some sort of treatment before they can be considered safe for the next inhabitant? There was an african dwarf frog, Amano shrimp and Zebra snail with Elegance, who will be quarentined until I'm sure they're okay. What treatments can I use on them to ensure that when they're reintroduced to the clean tank that they won't harm Ink?
Arielste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 04:41 PM   #2 
AquaScaper6

my advice, it was his old age, the bettas you get in stores are pretty old when you get them(it takes awhile for that beautiful color to set in) i would just take out the frog, it most likely bullied him. sorry for your loss, i once had a betta for 3 years! he died when i was 10 and i bawled my eyes out.
and those are some wicked names for fishes, just sayin....
AquaScaper6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 06:05 PM   #3 
dramaqueen
Banned

I think there is a possibility that the other inhabitants may have stressed him out. Some bettas don't do well with tsnkmates.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 06:06 PM   #4 
Sakura8

Hi Arielste. I'm not sure that the frog, shrimp, and snail can be treated to prevent passing on disease; inverts like the shrimp and snail are extremely sensitive to medications. To be honest, I'm not sure if they can carry the same diseases. QT should be fine for them.

For the plants, there are two ways to help disinfect them. One is to just rinse them off in tap water that has NOT been treated with dechlorinator. A second, more effective method is to use potassium permanganate. You can use straight PP in a dip; just don't immerse the roots, only the leaves. Or you can use a double dose of Jungle Labs Clear Water in a dip, which contains PP. The Clear Water may be easier to find and definitely easier to use than actual PP crystals.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 08:11 PM   #5 
Arielste

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramaqueen View Post
I think there is a possibility that the other inhabitants may have stressed him out. Some bettas don't do well with tsnkmates.
Its entirely possible, though from what I saw, Elegance was content to ignore his tankmates (Except Frog, Frog and Elegance enjoyed teaming up in the pursuit of bloodworm). What sort of symptoms should I watch for to know i its tankmate stress? Elegance lacked stress lines.
Old 10-16-2013, 08:13 PM   #6 
Arielste

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura8 View Post
Hi Arielste. I'm not sure that the frog, shrimp, and snail can be treated to prevent passing on disease; inverts like the shrimp and snail are extremely sensitive to medications. To be honest, I'm not sure if they can carry the same diseases. QT should be fine for them.

For the plants, there are two ways to help disinfect them. One is to just rinse them off in tap water that has NOT been treated with dechlorinator. A second, more effective method is to use potassium permanganate. You can use straight PP in a dip; just don't immerse the roots, only the leaves. Or you can use a double dose of Jungle Labs Clear Water in a dip, which contains PP. The Clear Water may be easier to find and definitely easier to use than actual PP crystals.
Thank you very much Sakura8. I will grab the Clear Water tomorrow first thing. I'll leave the plants in their bucket of rainwater for tonight.
Old 10-16-2013, 08:49 PM   #7 
Sakura8

Some signs of stress with tankmates would be refusal to eat, hiding in the corners, and clamped fins. Doesn't sound like Elegance had those. There could have been some other reason for stress or it could have been his time to go. :/
Old 10-17-2013, 02:58 PM   #8 
Arielste

I've gone hunting for Potassium permanagate in any form and been ENTRELY unsucessful. How frustrating. My dad has a hot tub, would soaking the pllants in very chlorinated water then afterwards in extra dechlorinator work?
Old 10-18-2013, 12:24 PM   #9 
Sakura8

Yes, that would also work. :)
Old 10-18-2013, 09:14 PM   #10 
AquaScaper6

i love that song sakura, its awesome, and i agree on the disease thing, idk that she had those tankmates
AquaScaper6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
betta, death, plants