Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-18-2013, 10:36 PM   #11 
ANHEL123

hmmm i don't trust those not adjustable ones. What brand it is? If your room is warm leave him in the room temperature and test the heater first. 85* is kind of on too warm side.
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 06:37 AM   #12 
Shayleen

So quick update..... This morning I got up and he isnt any where improved.... His belly is obviously distended like he has two bulges on either side of him, and where his color was always dull he now is a really pale. I don't know if the paleness is from lack of nutrition or if thats some infection that I need to be treating. He was placed in 50% salt water and 50% his old tank water. Tonight I'll be doing the 100% water change to 2 tspoons of the salt plus his stress coat thing with spring water. But I'm not very optimistic
Shayleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 09:05 AM   #13 
ANHEL123

Sorry definitely need medications:( I am not optimistic either . It will also helpful. I wish he would start eating.
Would you able to buy API General Cure?
Definitely use Epsom for now with stress coat and water changes. He really needs to be medicated if he is getting worse. And you can use epsom along with mes
Old 10-19-2013, 07:22 PM   #14 
Shayleen

alright he has been moved into 100% salt solution.... It contains the 2 teaspoons of epsom salt with some stress coat made by API and the metro/prazi made by API. (whatever its called that you told me to buy) btw that stuff is expensive and I should of just bought the medication from my hospital and dosed it down lol it probably would of been more accurate. The packet says 1 packet for 10 gal lol and well i dont have anything big enough to mix a whole packet so i kind of over did it probably because i need 1 / 10 of the packet and the packet has no real measurements so i just poured some... I hope its ok for him. Then again i figure he cant get any worse. What temperature should i keep his tank at I think its a little cold right now. and i havent added the heater yet because im afraid to
Old 10-19-2013, 09:08 PM   #15 
ANHEL123

What is the temperature in the room he is in?
Lol sorry about medications, if i would known i would tell you to do so:)
Old 10-19-2013, 09:27 PM   #16 
Shayleen

Its no biggy.. I'm actually a veterinary assistant.... My speciality is rescueing sick and injured dogs and cats lol... This fish was a spur of the moment fluke totally not what I'm used to...

My room is cold atm. I dont have heat in my room and tonight is going to be a cold night. I have a room heater going. I also have a bird who isn't happy with cold temperatures so I try to keep my room about 70 -75 so everyone can be comfortable.... My thermometer is one of the sticky ones and it read Rambo's (fish) tank water as 72, I felt that was too cold and despite my better judgement I put the heater in and let it warm up his water. Now if this little thingy is right his tank is now at 82. I read on here they can survive in 90 degree summers so I assume its not too high and he is more active than he has been since I got him. So I'm guessing he likes it. I'm worried about leaving this heater going all night though since its not on a control and if it just keeps heating up the water it could be bad... As I'm sitting here typing this Rambo is going in and out of his little hiding rock thing :D It makes me so happy.... Grant he still isnt eating but he at least looked at his little bloodworm that i offered him. I'm cool with small successes.
Old 10-19-2013, 10:30 PM   #17 
ANHEL123

Its so cool what you are doing!!! I am very obsess with animals. It is so sad here where i live. So many dogs and cats abused and put down daily. I can't take it. I am against breeding any animal and fish. Its so many of them in the shelters and poor bettas in the stores dying. So sad. I do donations to spca and i do donations sometimes to the shelter where i adopted my dog. I hope i can do a little help. Someone found my dog on the street and she was in the shelter where they would put her down because they said she is aggresive to other dogs. So another shelter where they don't put their god down took her. Then i adopted her. And i think so far we have her for 2.5 years and we are lucky to have her. She is good dog. Yes aggressive to some dogs but plays perfectly fine to many dogs. Loves my neighbor dog.

Sorry i really wanted to say my little story.
About Rambo. Where do you live. We have her the same temperature , my house 70* now, so in the morning it will be about 67* If you would able to keep room 75 * it would be good. I am afraid to keep the heater overnight.
What you can do another day try to find a bucket that is approx. the same size as his tank and put the heater there and see if its will hold the temperature. Test the heater at least 24 hrs. Sorry don't know how else you can do. Or if you can keep the temp 75* constantly that is the solution. You need it for the bird anyway. Even if you would have bigger tank its too early to put him in there since he is week. Unless you can lower the water and put him in the bigger tank with that heater. But on another hand if you eventually will buy bigger tank i would suggest to buy adjustable heater.
Don't remember how long the instructions saying to use General Cure , do not stop it, you can continue it another course of it.
Old 10-22-2013, 08:36 PM   #18 
Shayleen

Update:

Today was going to be the day. I went to bed last night praying Rambo would pass on his own so I wouldn't have to make the decision. It isn't something I take lightly. I researched ways to make sure it was peaceful and didn't hurt. I woke up this morning with a heavy heart dreading what would have to be done today. You see, I had decided today was going to be the date that a decision had to be made if Rambo didn't show significant signs of improvement. There comes a time in a rescuers heart that they have to know they've done everything and the last final gift that can be given is the gift of a peaceful dignified death. But Rambo proved me wrong. He is a little fighter. This morning I woke up and a pellet of food was missing that I left for him last night. He left both pieces of shrimp and one pellet but I consider eating food a huge improvement than the past few weeks. I was so proud that I didn't believe it so I dropped another pellet of food into his tank and went about my day. I'm pleased to say that whereas it's not near what my other betas ate. He has now eaten two pellets of food :D. I'd say that's improvement. His white patch near his gills is still there. I wouldn't say its fungus or parasite it looks more like part of him. I don't know if that happens. His belly still seems a little bloated and he still sometimes floats on his side. He has been more active recently and can easily swim around to the bottom of his tank. (Also an improvement before he could only swim half way) He still cant sleep at the bottom of the tank like I know they like to do but I think he is getting there. Regardless I'm going to let the little fighter keep on fighting as long as he will keep taking these baby steps to a normal happy life. I'm going to continue to treat him with the salt / stress coat / and general cure.
Old 10-22-2013, 10:02 PM   #19 
ANHEL123

Did you see his poop? I want to rule out internal parasites. So try to see if it white,clear wormy stringy shape.
Do not stop General cure if he is improving. You can use it longer than recommended.
White patch near his gills still there. I assume if it bilateral than probobly i hope its can be his coloration. Because i would say if its something abnormal it would me not symmetrical. And i don't think it ich or any other parasites for the same reason + if it would be parasites he would show more symptoms . So keep eye on it i hope its not fungal infection which i also don't think it is.

I wish you can find Kanaplex. Kanaplex is most recommended on this forum and it acts internally and externally, and you can use simultaneously with General Cure.

Please give update soon really interested to know how he doing:)

And about your thoughts about euthanize him. I did it once with help of the coworker for the betta i rescued from someone and he was very sick and would never recover. But i usually give my betta to die naturally. I also research and found out that bettas don't really feel pain . The do feel uncomfortable though. But its every ones personal decision.
Your little guy would be already dead if you would not take him.
Old 10-23-2013, 12:15 AM   #20 
Shayleen

Discomfort is pain imo.... But not everyone is ok with euthanasia and don't feel comfortable doing so... There were many methods I found online but the ones I was interested in were the ones backed by the AVMA. They do actually take the time to find the best interest of the animal to minimize as much discomfort as possible. More importantly fear. I don't ever want an animals last thought to be of fear... therefore the way I plan on doing it if that needs arises is putting him under heavy anesthesia so he is actually relaxed and sleeping well with clove oil. After he is fully under I will then give him vodka which will ensure that he never wakes back up. But he will be sound asleep prior to the addition of vodka so he wont experience any of the panic associated with dying. At work they told me to use alka seltzer which I found isn't backed by the AVMA as an appropriate way to put down a fish and the mechanism of action doesnt seem that appealing to me anyway : /. Ill keep you posted otherwise about him.