Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-16-2013, 08:38 PM   #1 
Warlord5122

Betta community failed :(

Hi, today I tried to start a betta community with my male betta, Orestes. I had him in the Aqueon half gallon tank for less than a week and wanted to upgrade cuz I thought that was too small. I got a 10 gallon and wanted to start a community so after I set everything up I brought home 7 harlequin rasbora and put them in. Later that day I introduced Orestes. He was doing great at first but as time passed he started flaring at any rasbora that got near him or he got near and then about 4 hours after his introduction he finally nipped one at which point I put him back in the betta bowl.

That's my story and this is my first tank really so I was wondering if the community could work if I did things differently or if there is a way to make it work or if I just have to keep them separate. I really wanted the community to work and I was looking on websites like this one and others about which fish work and how to do it cuz I really wanted. abetta community and I feel bad to have Orestes in the 1/2 gallon.

Thanks ahead for anyone who responds and dont feel bad to just flat out say it cant work, I just kinda wanted to have the community. Thanks again
Warlord5122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 08:45 PM   #2 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Actually, it seems to me that you didn't even give him much a chance! Most likely those rasboras are much faster than him and they'll be able to get away. A few nips and bites will happen here and there but it usually doesn't amount to anything really.

How many plants (real or fake doesnt matter) do you have in the tank? Any hides or anything? If you want the community to work, and yes it can work, you'll need lots of hiding places for your Rasboras so when Orestes does decide he wants to bite harder one day, they can hide for a bit while he calms down.
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 08:27 AM   #3 
Warlord5122

Thanks and yea I guess I didn't give him a chance. Pardon my inexperience this is my first attempt at an aquarium. I have always wanted one and when I recieved the betta bowl and Orestes as a gift I figured it was a good starting point.

As far as plants and decorations, I don't have live plants, I was hesitant cuz its my first time, but i do have 5 plants, 3 are off to one side and are relatively close because i figured the dense vegitation could serve as cover and the other two are spread out in the tank. I also have 2 cave-like decorations.

Thanks for the advice, it was only one nip and that was hours after his introduction. He was fine up until then although he would flare if they got close but he never acted on it. I think I got scared when I saw him nip so I overreacted. When I get home and can watch them closely, I'll put him back. Maybe I'll pick up more plants too.
Old 10-17-2013, 08:33 AM   #4 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Yep! No worries, we all start somewhere ^_^

Yeah, picking up some more silk plants will really help! Don't get plastic though, those will shred your Betta's fins :-/ which isn't fun to be dealing with. So silk plants, make it nice and dense and you should be good to go ^_^ Good on the caves as well

I would give it a few day's and if he's just nipping here and there, he should be fine to go. If he starts to really bite them, nipping fins off entirely or tearing scales off, then yes that would be a little more worrisome. I would then consider maybe taking him out or perhaps adding more plants to break out lines of sight and make it harder for him to chase them. That's how most sororities work out and tanks with aggressive fish; just put in lots of plants and stuff to make it harder for the fish to chase the little ones
Old 10-17-2013, 08:36 AM   #5 
Warlord5122

Sounds good, and yea they're all silk, found that out here actually. Don't wanna hurt Mr.Betta haha. But I'll keep a close eye and make sure to count those fins and hopefully it'll all be good. I'll make sure to run by the store and get some more plants as well. Thanks for the help
Old 10-17-2013, 09:57 AM   #6 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Great! I'm glad to have helped ^_^

Tags
betta, community, failure, rasbora, sad