Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-08-2009, 11:33 AM   #1 
jjm619

Betta fish keeps eating other fishes food

Hello everyone I have two cory cats and an otocinclus together with a female betta. I was wondering if anyone have any tips on how I can feed the other fish without the betta interfering. Everytime I drop a shrimp pellet or algae wafer for the cats the betta immediately goes after the food, starts eating, and harrasses any fish that gets near it. I'm worried about the betta overeating and killer herself. Anyone have any tips?

Also I wanted to try and hang a piece of zuchinni or cucumber for the otocinclus, does anyone know if the betta will want to nip at this too?

any help is much appreciated
jjm619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 02:32 PM   #2 
Jynx

Bettas are carnivores and will likely leave alone any veggies you put in the tank- you can use a sheet of plastic or something as a tank divider for feeding times- just trap your betta in a corner and let the other fish eat. If he has enough room this shouldn't stress him too much- esp if you feed him at the same time.
Jynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 09:57 PM   #3 
Jupiter

I boguht a breeding trap for this reason. i'm planning on getting cory cats later, just put the Betta in a breeding trap or a net of some sort until they're done eating.
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote