Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-19-2013, 09:08 AM   #1 
Quinn

Hydra, Hydra everywhere!!

So, as the title states, I'm having a bit of a problem in my tanks right now, or maybe a problem? I've read a lot of conflicting information on the dangers (or lack there of) of having hydra in a tank.
Long story short, maybe a week or so ago I noticed 2 weird little white stringy things attached to an anubias leaf. I got sort of weirded out by them, but after a bit of research I matched them up with Hydra. I haven't found any solid reports of if they will be damaging to my particular inhabitants, but I am aware that they sting and can kill fry as well as read reports that they have injured Otos (I don't have either, but still, makes you think). I tried to rub them off and suck them up with a baster, but I'm betting I just sent them free in the water
(Sorry this isn't such a short story after all) So fast forward to today, there are SO MANY OF THEM. They have pretty much taken over my sponge filter, as well as a few residing on the glass and plants, most notably the one anubias I first noticed them on. I saw my betta attempt to, and maybe eat, one, but perhaps it stung him, as he seemed to have a bit of trouble eating it, and I haven't seen him eat another, and he spends a lot of time looking for organisms to eat. I have now also seen a few in my other tank, though not as many (yet I'm sure).
So, basically should I be concerned and actively trying to eradicate them? Are they posing a threat to my tanks? If they are how can I safely (and hopefully simply) rid my aquariums of them without doing any harm to my wanted inhabitants.
The tanks all together house:
Betta
Red Cherry Shrimp
Amano Shrimp
Mystery Snail
Ramshorn Snail
Nerite Snail
(Live Plants)
Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 10:29 AM   #2 
Stone

I used dog dewormer to get rid of hydra and planaria in my red cherry tank that has mystery snails, here is an article that will tell what to use and how and so on, my only suggestion is to put the powder in an empty teabag and put it in the filter or where there is water flow , it does not dissolve so well in water or pre-dissolve it in water first, do not put it straight in your tank, here is the article,http://www.planetinverts.com/killing...and_hydra.html
Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 10:35 AM   #3 
peachii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone View Post
I used dog dewormer to get rid of hydra and planaria in my red cherry tank that has mystery snails, here is an article that will tell what to use and how and so on, my only suggestion is to put the powder in an empty teabag and put it in the filter or where there is water flow , it does not dissolve so well in water or pre-dissolve it in water first, do not put it straight in your tank, here is the article,http://www.planetinverts.com/killing...and_hydra.html
Red cherry shrimp are sensitive and using this in the tank did not bother them at all. We lost none from the treatment and it almost instantly got rid of the tiny few of them we had at the time. I did trash all plants, substrate from water changes and bleach all my equipment while we saw them in there, I didn't want them in any other tanks. It's been awhile now since we've seen them so pretty sure the plants are safe from that tank now.
peachii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 03:22 PM   #4 
Quinn

Thanks guys, I was actually just looking at that article. Guess that will be my course of treatment!
REALLY hope that just the treatment is enough, I don't want to have to tear down the tanks or ditch anything. I did manually remove a bunch this morning, but of course it barely looks like I've done a thing. They really have colonized my darn sponge filter, grrrr.
Old 11-26-2013, 10:27 AM   #5 
Quinn

So I dosed with Safe Guard, only once, and that so far seems to have taken care of the problem. I was going to dose again the next day, but I read on some sites that waiting longer the Hydra died off anyway. By 24 hrs they were almost all just little nubs. 48 hrs some of them were still hanging on as nubs, but most were gone. Less than 72 hrs and I couldn't see any left. Hoorah!
Sadly however my Nerite seems to be dying. I didn't read until after the fact an account or two where people said their Nerites could not handle the fenbendazole and such seems to be the case. Teega isn't dead yet, but she has not moved for days :(
She seemed to sloooowly slide down the glass over the course of a couple of days. This morning she was on the ground in her shell, I figured dead, so I moved her around a bit and waited, she came out of her shell but wont grip the wall and def doesn't seem well. I feel horrible I wish I had read that earlier so I could have kept her in a cup for a while... Damn
Just posting this so perhaps someone else will not accidentally have the same sad fate
Old 11-30-2013, 07:25 PM   #6 
Quinn

So now all 4 of my Mystery Snails are acting extremely ill and I'm worried they won't recover. I do not know if it was caused by then fenbenzadole or the additions of flourish and excel, or something else entriely, although those ste the only changes and they were very happy seeming and active before. They started acting really odd around two days ago. They have been sliming a ton, lethargic, some floating, some tucked away at the bottom unmoving. I have moved them all to a KK with clean fresh water, I have tried placing them in super shallow water to expose them to air, they are still not responding. Yesterday 3 of them showed slight interest in algae wafers, and moving around a little, but today they seem bad again. The shrimp, betta, ramshorn, and MTS in the tank all are well (infact I have seen at least 7 heavily berried females, and I have seen baby RCS!) an active. So confused. The water prams are fine. Also my other tank with the same additions, no mysteries in there, but fish, snails, shrimp are all fine as well. The mysteries are my fave... :'(
Old 11-30-2013, 09:47 PM   #7 
ao
TFK Moderator

snails may be affected by the treatment. i've heard of it killing off nerites...

Sent from Petguide.com App
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 05:50 AM   #8 
Quinn

Yes apparently. But I haven't seen reports of Mystery snails dying off like this. And it's like a week after treatment, why would it suddenly be an issue? Do you think it could be the Flourish or Excel instead? I know I'm under dosing it, but I know the can cause problems at higher doses. And the fact that my shrimp all seem fine and thriving is also confusing me since they are sensitive creatures too. So confused/bummed!
Old 12-05-2013, 01:53 AM   #9 
dramaqueen
Banned

Sorry about your snails.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 07:39 AM   #10 
Stone

Weird we had no issues with our snails from it or excel or flourish, but we have had snails jsut die for no reason we can figure out, it is hard to tell if a snail is sick
Stone is offline   Reply With Quote